Nene La Beet's Reviews > The Enlightenment of Nina Findlay

The Enlightenment of Nina Findlay by Andrea Gillies

Jul 12, 2015

bookshelves: aging, audiobook, fiction, scotland, scottish

I liked this book a lot, probably better than I liked the previous one. Several reasons for that, I think, one being that I'm not much for thrillers, generally, another that Nina Findlay and I have a lot in common - not least our gender and age.

This book takes issue with two important things, closely related. It looks at how women past menopause become invisible to the world in many respects. And it looks at how this affects the women's perception of themselves. These are important issues and I think about them and struggle with them every day.

About the book and the story: It has some unlikely plot twists, but I really don't mind. Some of the very best novels and films have completely inconceivable plot twists, but they are there to let the author tell us something important, and I value that far above plausibility.

Nina Findlay is a woman on the brink of a divorce - a divorce from her husband and his family (quite important in this case) and a divorce from her former self. To come to terms with all this, she goes to Greece, to a small island, where she went with her husband many years ago for their honeymoon. Not a damn clever choice if you ask me!

She has many profound discussions with herself and with the local doctor when she is hospitalised after an accident. These conversations and flashbacks give us the various bits of the puzzle that constitute the story of Nina. It's cleverly done.

I enjoyed this book very much, but not so much due to the clever plot as to the acute description of the trials and tribulations of being a middle aged women.

Disclaimer: I've known Andrea through Twitter and Facebook for quite some years and have even had the pleasure of meeting her IRL once, here in Copenhagen.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Enlightenment of Nina Findlay.

Started Reading