Chanelle's Reviews > Anna and the French Kiss

Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins

Dec 02, 2010

bookshelves: amazing-series, great-read

In the space of a few days, my list of favourite reads has changed because this book has been added onto it. I didn't think I would love this book. I knew I would enjoy it, but I didn't expect to love it. And then within the first couple of chapters – I was hooked.

Anna is a very likeable character. I find that a lot of female main characters in literature these days follow the same kinds of personality traits. Reserved, quiet until comfortable with those around them, insecure, pretty but not beautiful, serious and intense. But Anna is different, which is why I liked her. Sure, she had her faults. She was obsessively clean, but in a way that was endearing. She was also kind of a hypocrite. And she did one of the things that I can’t stand in both books and real life – she assumed something that was not the case and a huge misunderstanding happened because of it.

However, none of her flaws made me dislike the book even a little. There was so much I loved, and right now, a few days later, I can’t think of anything that made me roll my eyes or shake my head (except when I was supposed to). Though the book is obviously about a romance, I did find it a little hard to relate to any of her friends. They were not as well developed as Anna or St. Clair. Speaking of St. Clair, Perkins described him PERFECTLY. I could picture everything he did, the way he did it and the way he said it. He was swoon worthy, but flawed, and perfect all at the same time. I fell in love with him too. However, one thing I did not appreciate (being from London myself) was the stereotypical language and attitude given to him as a character from London. His language was wrong in a lot of places, and the things he did say were stuff people don’t say anymore in this day and age. Stephanie, if you need English language tips, please ask me. I’d be happy to help!

One thing I really, really loved was how Anna would call St. Clair by his surname when she was angry or referring to him as a friend, or Etienne when she was talking to him lovingly. The development of their relationship was brilliant and realistic. The things he would say, the way he would move around her, the readers could see his feelings progressing and changing. Even if Anna couldn’t. It all went perfectly, especially when it didn’t.

This will definitely be on my favourites list for a long time. I can’t wait to read more from Perkins, but I highly doubt they’ll be able to top this one for me. Can someone find me a St. Clair? But preferably a little taller, as I like my men tall :). 5 stars for sure.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anna and the French Kiss.

December 2, 2010 – Shelved
January 5, 2011 – Started Reading
January 6, 2011 –
page 135
36.29% "Really enjoying the will they won't they aspect of this book."
January 7, 2011 – Finished Reading