Karen's Reviews > Brisingr

Brisingr by Christopher Paolini

Dec 01, 2010

bookshelves: ya-fiction, favorites, fantasy-sci-fi
Read from December 01, 2010 to July 16, 2011 — I own a copy

I’m a huge fan of this series and bought the book when it first came out in 2008 and I just finished it today, I’ve been working on this book for 3, count it, 3 years! Not that I have a good excuse but between getting married, taking college classes that require a butt load of reading and writing, and coming across other reads too tempting to pass up I just didn’t make a lot of progress. Plus, I, nor anyone knew when the heck book 4 was coming out so I didn’t want to finish it only to wait for who knew how long. Once book 4 was announced, I happily dove back into Brisingr.

As the summary suggests, there is a lot of politics in this one which does slow the pace of the story a bit but I thought it was an interesting and important component to the plot and character development. Being a Dragon Rider, Eragon is of course expected to be this great warrior but he must also have good character and judgment, so him having to engage in delicate back and forth dialogue is just part of him growing up. Witnessing Eragon going from a 15 year-old farm boy to an adult and fully-fledged Dragon Rider is one of my favorite things about the series. I think Paolini does a superb job at constantly developing Eragon’s character.

I also enjoyed the continual growth of his and Saphira’s relationship. Their partnership is the heart of the story because they are the last hope for Alagaesia’s freedom from King Galbatorix. Again, from the beginning you can see their relationship constantly growing and improving. That’s how Paolini writes, he’s very gradual about things and some readers simply don’t have the patience for that which is a real shame.

Alright so besides the politics and growing relationships there is PLENTY of action and suspense, especially towards the end. So if you’re having a hard time getting through, hang in there! It’s so worth it, I promise. I don’t want to give anything away but the last few chapters or so were jaw-dropping. I almost cried at one part and happily squealed at another LOL, I’m such a girl!

In conclusion, I love love love this book! Eragon was good, Eldest was great, and Brisingr is awesome. Huge props to Paolini for outdoing himself each time. I am fully confident that Inheritance will be even more awesome and a most satisfying conclusion to an amazing epic.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Brisingr.

05/10/2011 page 304
show 2 hidden updates…

Rose2468 Glad you liked it! I really hope that the forth book will be even better.

message 2: by Karen (last edited Jul 16, 2011 12:04PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Karen Yay me too! I'm soooo looking forward to seeing what happens between Eragon and Arya ^.^ If they don't end up together I'm going to scream lol.

Rose2468 I know, I feel the same! we waited for them too long to be together, we deserve it! :D

Karen Heck yes!