Leah's Reviews > The Tin Roof Blowdown

Dec 01, 2010

Recommended to Leah by: Customer
Recommended for: Fans of series thrillers such as Lee Child, Harlan Coben
Read from November 29 to December 02, 2010 , read count: 1

While not usually my favorite genre, this was surprisingly an enjoyable read. I picked it up for two reasons: First, because a customer recommended the author, and second, because of the setting. New Orleans is one of my favorite cities, and having done mission work there since Hurricane Katrina, I am fascinated by fiction and non-fiction set in the Big Easy post hurricane. I try to read a variety of books, and to stay fairly informed on all genres, especially the most popular among my customers, and so this seemed like a good fit.

The protagonist, Detective Dave Robicheaux, is the hero of this 16th novel in the popular series by James Lee Burke. When his department is assigned to investigate the shooting of two looters in an upscale neighborhood in the aftermath of Katrina, he discovers a tangled web of crime, greed, deception and unspeakable violence. Burke takes the crime drama a step above the norm with his illumination of the response to the devastation of the hurricane, both on an individual and a national level. The fate of the surviving looter and his subsequent struggle for redemption is exquisitely told. In fact, most of Burke's characters are surprisingly multi-faceted, not so easily wearing black or white hats, but rather, varying shades of grey. The Tin Roof Blowdown: A Dave Robicheaux Novel reminds me that the thriller can be more than a guilty pleasure.

Recommended for: Fans of Lee Child, Harlan Coben, other series thrillers

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tin Roof Blowdown.