Wayne F's Reviews > Pigeons and Peace Doves

Pigeons and Peace Doves by Matthew J. Hall

U 50x66

poems awash in metaphor and with a meditative strain. There is a subtle melody to some pieces: "I walked the riverside route.../listened to the water.../the clanking of moored boats/wondered about the sea gulls who stand so close to the edge" ("Harboring Thoughts of Escape")--"...sadness wells and spills/in and from the crippled pigeon's eyes" ("This City is Sad and Angry"). The relationship poems--the "we" poems--steer clear of trite sentiment: "though the pigeons still peck at the back of my eyeballs/you have given me reason to keep up with the days" ("She Sedates the Rhino")--"I hear her sometimes singing/she's quietly softening the night" ("There is Still a Little Grace in Me"). Among the more personal and less clinical of the poems is my favorite, "The Full Weight of my Head," a poem about the aftermath of a failed suicide attempt. Instead of something maudlin, Hall creates, through understatement and restraint of emotion, and a plain narrative style, something subtly powerful. Wayne F. Burke, author, DICKHEAD, Bareback Press.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pigeons and Peace Doves.

Finished Reading