Kate's Reviews > Dragonfly in Amber

Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon

Recommended for: people who wouldn't ever read a romance novel, history buffs

Gabaldon's sex-ridden, hugely researched, academically adventurous, time travel/sci-fi meets historical romance novels qualify as trash novels for lit nerds -- they're absolutely a guilty pleasure. From clan warfare to herbal medicine to genealogy to British history to WWII, the books are packed with information (what little Gaelic I know started with these books). Bonus: the heroine gets to have many, many rolls in the hay with a handsome hard-bodied Highlander. Can't really go wrong.

The books were recommended to me while I was living in England, and a lucky thing, too, because had I taken one look at the Fabio-in-a-kilt-of-passion American paperback cover I would have refused to read it (note: the British version was called Cross Stitch and the cover had a less-than-sexy field of heather on it). For a while I was caught up on the series, but I lost interest once the Frasers headed to America.

They are long books but the pages turn quickly. Gabaldon has a way with characters and her prose flows along at an engaging clip. Oh, but if you get all squeamish about buggery, don't bother -- the negative reviews of these books always focus prudishly (and tediously) on one specific encounter in an otherwise pretty rampantly heterosexual landscape.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dragonfly in Amber.

Started Reading
April 1, 1997 – Finished Reading
January 23, 2008 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)

message 1: by joni (new)

joni Weiss LOL! I totally agree with our summation. Unfortunately, #2 didn't hold the same charm, of discovery, I guess.

Read-A-Book Everyday Reviews!!! but I thought Jamie wasn't in this book?

Kate Jamie is in this book.

message 4: by John-Paul (new)

John-Paul DeWalt Sex-ridden? So many rolls in the hay? Suer there are some but not so much as in a sensual romance novel. The central theme is the attempt to prevent - then survive - the Rising.

Kristen 3/4 finished and I feeling a little uncertain - no way around it I will have to buy book 3.

Elizabeth  Leonard Great review. "trash novel for lit nerds." Perfect description.

Steph Thebert Love this review. Sums up perfectly how i feel about this series so far!

Nancy Schober Best review ever...you hit the nail on the head

Heather Léger I am in love with your review! It is spot on.

message 10: by Lily (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lily How is it a "trash" novel? I think that's harsh especially in light of the ones we see on libraries' bookshelves these days

Stacey Rolfe Mackenzie I don't think she means trash novel literally...she means its the equivalent of a trash novel but for lit nerds...

Richard Morris I just started this volume and was really shocked at where it begins. Also didn't expect the news about some characters but I won't specify.

message 13: by Roberta (new)

Roberta LOVED IT