Brooke Bryant's Reviews > The Prince and I

The Prince and I by Karen Hawkins

12532061

With The Prince and I, the second installment in her Princes of Oxenburg series, Karen Hawkins weaves a delicious tale set in the wilds of Scotland. Lady Murian Muir was once the mistress of Rowallen Castle and its people after having found love in a marriage arranged by her guardian. After a very suspicious duel, she loses her husband and is forced to flee her beloved home. Doing everything she can to gain back what is rightfully hers, she dons a “Robin Hood” disguise and along with her band of “merry men” (the displaced members of her household), they hold up guests travelling to Rowallen. One particular evening finds them attempting to rob General Max Romanovin, the prince of Oxenburg. Sparks fly and they end the hold-up with a sword fight, with Max unmasking the highwayman after Murian slips and falls. At the request of his Tata Natasha (who deserves a novel all on her own), Max finds himself travelling with her to stay as guests of Lord Loudan at Rowallen but, it isn’t until after they arrive that he realizes his grandmother has lost a very important heirloom to the blackguard Loudan that belongs to his country.
I was so excited to read this story. The chemistry between Max and Murian is palpable from the beginning and it was so refreshing when they didn’t spend over half the book denying that chemistry. Murian has loved and lost, but she doesn’t allow it to affect her negatively and cause her to be bitter as I’ve seen before in romances. She also isn’t too proud to accept Max’s help with the repairs and Max isn’t as arrogant as one would think given that he is a prince. Both Max and Murian are down to earth which made reading all that more enjoyable and the verbal sparring between them, and the secondary characters, had me laughing out loud several times. The secondary characters were just as large as the hero and heroine; with the widows helping alongside the prince’s men, and Tata Natasha threatening to turn people into goats and arguing that she doesn’t snore. The Prince and I was a thoroughly fun romp into Scotland and I’m already sorry that it’s over!

*I received an ARC in exchange for an honest review*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Prince and I.

Started Reading