Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids's Reviews > Austenland

Austenland by Shannon Hale

A modern day tale Austen fans will truly adore, Shannon Hale brings humor, romance and charm to this fabulous ode to Jane Austen. In true Shannon Hale form, she creates an adorable story that is fun, and engaging as she took me along on Jane Hayes's little adventure. Jane Hayes is a character many Jane Austen fans will relate to. She's obsessed with Mr. Darcy. I mean obsessed to the point she hides her BB Pride & Prejudice watching, book reading addiction from everyone. Which is all the more reason why I love her. Who can blame her for love that little movie that many fans adore played by a certain British heart throb named Colin Firth. Certainly not us Mundie Moms. But, there's a tiny problem with being that obsessed with Mr Darcy and I'm sure many of us book fans can relate to this.... Mr. Darcy is fictional, but to a thirty something, single year old women who's looking for that perfect Mr. Darcy, Jane can't seem to find "the right" guy, because her sites are set on the fictional Mr. Darcy.

When Jane's aunt passes away, she leaves behind a gift for Jane, a trip to London for an exclusive vacation at the Pembrook Park. Any Austen fan would LOVE this trip! This park takes their guests back in time to Austen's era. Sounds like one of those fabulous get away from it all trips doesn't it? I know I'd enjoy that, but once Jane is there, I started to really sympathize with her. Every moment of the day and night you have to act like you're apart of this time period. You act the part, dress the part and during the duration of your your stay, you are apart of this time period. There's even balls to attend to do. Sounds fabulous right? There's also strict rules like no talking to the servants, no modern day devices, women aren't allowed to be with a man alone unless they're outside and in motion, women aren't allowed to roam freely about after dark and so on. It's during this time that Jane's love for this era starts to make her feel like an outsider, someone who doesn't fit in.

Don't worry, Jane definitely finds herself in some rather hilarious circumstances and of course Hale provides the right amount of romance that kept me completely hooked on this fabulously written story. Word of caution, do not pick this book up thinking it's a re-telling of a classic, it's far from it. It's simply a wonderful story that all Austen fans will enjoy, and Hale gives us fans something to swoon over and connect with in Jane. I am really looking forward to the sequel, Midnight in Austenland that releases next year. If you've ever wandered what it would be like to live in Jane Austen's time period, than I highly recommend picking up this fabulous clean cut book. You might want to read it before the movie comes out!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Austenland.