Cayenne's Reviews > The Joy of Less, A Minimalist Living Guide: How to Declutter, Organize, and Simplify Your Life

The Joy of Less, A Minimalist Living Guide by Francine Jay

Dec 01, 2010

Read in January, 2011

This was a great reminder of a lot of things I already knew, but it also helped me gain a new philosophy about owning things. It renewed my motivation to organize and reduce, but it also helped me take it to a new level, such as helping me feel less guilty about getting rid of things I might "need someday" or increasing the value of empty space. She mentioned several times the freedom one felt in college when possessions were few and focus was more on doing rather than on owning. Yet, she encourages us to value and enjoy our (limited) treasures by putting them on display; to take joy in our hobbies; to make more space for our friends and family both in our lives and in our homes--you can't play a board game on a cluttered table. I am resolved to think much more carefully about purchasing new things and to buy in smaller amounts; to travel with less luggage; to be more generous; to tread more lightly in life. I highly recommend this book, especially in our consumer-oriented world.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Joy of Less, A Minimalist Living Guide.

03/23/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Grace (new) - added it

Grace Huang Well written review which makes me want to check out the book. The most important things in life aren't things.

Cynthia Mendoza Exactly the same inspiration with me