Andrea's Reviews > A Clash of Kings

A Clash of Kings by George R.R. Martin

Dec 01, 2010

bookshelves: 2010, fantasy

This book was even harder to put down than the first. The extreme violence against women, every commoner, every character you ever like, and well...pretty much all the characters is still there, and often grating. I understand the kind of atmosphere he's trying to provoke, but it's just difficult to read about that much rape and violence, really difficult. While I'm sure the political intrigue is the main draw for most, I'm really curious about the more fantastic threats from the north and east. My fondness for Tyrion kept me interested in the intrigue for the most part in this one. The end of this book was totally unsatisfying. The beginning of the following book even has many scenes that run parallel to this one. Still I couldn't put it down and I moved straight into the following one. I'll stop after the third, since the 4th and 5th run parallel and the 5th has yet to be published.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Clash of Kings.

message 1: by A'Llyn (new)

A'Llyn I read the first recently, haven't gotten around to picking up the second...I'm interested in the world and some of the characters (although the constant violence, as you say, begins to wear on one), but found that there were more people and stories to keep track of than I was in the mood for at the time. Perhaps one of these days.

Andrea Yeah. There are some narrators that come up and I think, "Really? Do we have to find out what is happening with him? Can't we go see what Bran is doing?" The first one was a slog, but the second compelled me through it, and now I'm a third of the way through the third one. I wish so many awful things didn't happen, but I want to know what happens when winter comes. (Spoiler: The answer is other awful things, but at least it will be supernatural evil things instead of awful humans.)

Zeke wait..you don't want to read the next ones? They're really good too....what do you mean, the 4th and 5th run parallel? Didn't know this.

focusing on minor characters--I agree, this gets annoying..but (for me) he ends up pulling it all together and as you keep reading the books, the minor digressions start making more sense and the "minor" characters suddenly become much more important. Hope this makes sense. Glad you're enjoying these!!!!

Andrea According to the wikipedia article:
"By May 2005, A Feast for Crows had become longer than A Storm of Swords (the manuscript for which had been 1521 pages) and Martin's publishers said they could not publish the book in one volume.[15] They suggested splitting the book in two and releasing the volumes as A Feast for Crows, Volume I and A Feast for Crows, Volume II, but Martin was unhappy with this idea. After discussing the matter with his publishers and his friend and fellow writer Daniel Abraham, Martin decided to split the book by character and location instead. The published A Feast for Crows thus contained all of the characters in the South of the Seven Kingdoms, while the forthcoming A Dance with Dragons will contain the characters in the North, the Free Cities and in Slaver's Bay."

It's not that I don't want to read them, I just want to wait until the 5th comes out the read the 4th and 5th together since they describe the same time period (which will also give me a break from the heavy). Hopefully, I still won't have to wait too long. Also according the Wikipedia article, "On Oct 11, 2010 it was confirmed by GRRM’s editor Anne Groell that Martin has finished all but five chapters for A Dance with Dragons, and that the five chapters remaining already exist in partial form. She also teased the hope of the publisher that the manuscript will be finished by Christmas 2010."

Thanks for the original recommendation. I really am enjoying the experience of these books. They are just tough to stomach sometimes!

Zeke so true. I welcome any recommendations you have for books that are similar.