karen's Reviews > A Step from Heaven

A Step from Heaven by An Na

bookshelves: and-so-this-is-grad-school, kiddiwinx

this book was very (view spoiler) i didn't think i was going to like it because it started out in the voice of (view spoiler)which was too (view spoiler) for me, but it thankfully changed as the female child-character grows up to show the slow acclimitization and americanization of a korean family and the struggles and triumphs they undergo, while still holding on to their roots. it is actually a very graceful and delicate story, but it does not shy away from certain (view spoiler) i really loved this book, and while it is true i am only writing this review right now because (view spoiler) anyone interested in immigrant stories should read this children's book, even if they are (view spoiler)!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Step from Heaven.

December 1, 2010 – Started Reading
December 1, 2010 – Shelved
December 2, 2010 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)

message 1: by Greg (last edited Jan 31, 2011 09:30PM) (new)

Greg Oh wow! I wish I had discovered this feature first. This opens up whole new was of being (view spoiler) and (view spoiler) in my reviews!

Ha! It can be done in comments too!

karen i am going to hide all my cursewords!!

this is what comes from reading the goodreads.com newsletter!! knowledge!!

message 3: by Greg (new)

Greg For my Avi reviews I might go back and hide every word that isn't a curse word.

karen hahahh thatta boy!

message 5: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine you could have learned about it from reading my review earlier.

karen caris reads neither the newsletters nor jasmines reviews...

message 7: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine it in the list of tags on the sides Caris.

it's just the same as html tags. you just write spoiler in place of whatever else.

message 8: by Theresa (new)

Theresa Karen how can you find the time to read the Goodreads newsletter AND 275 books a year?

karen well, that was back in 2010. i don't have time to do either these days: after all the craziness this year, i might not actually meet my 2018 challenge. i am skeered!

message 10: by Sarabi (new) - added it

Sarabi Eventide I'm so glad Theresa brought this review out of the depths of 2010 cuz this book actually sounds really good. Gonna have to add it to my TBR