Angie's Reviews > The Book of Kings

The Book of Kings by Cynthia Voigt

liked it
bookshelves: juvenile-fic

Mister Max is an interesting series. He's very good at thinking on his feet and, when the occasion calls for it, playacting. His parents left on what was supposed to be a fairly simple trip in the first book and then ... disappeared. Max figures out what happened to them (as a "Solutioneer" he solves problems every day!) and in this book three finally goes to their rescue.

The story is an action packed adventure. The settings make for fabulous "mental movies." I'm ... not sure I loved the explanation for the reason his parents were gone. Or the fact that his parents didn't seem to appreciate just how much their son had had to do for them. But that said, it was an enjoyable installment. I'd like to see more of Max.

Just a couple lines I thought were well written. I read an advanced electronic copy on my Kindle so I don't have exact page numbers.

Chapter 1, location 127 "The hat was wearing a rather small woman." Just made me laugh. As I said earlier ... the writing makes for some fun mental movies.

Chapter 7, Location 1160
"All you can ever do is everything you can." Well, that's the truth.
Same chapter, location 1230
"Ari stood for several minutes, just looking down into the face of the girl he planned to marry, pastry chef at B's and wrongfully accused thief, a girl from a mountain village who had neither fine wits nor great beauty to recommend her, only a kind heart and a gift for the plain truth of things--which happened to be the very qualities that won Ari's admin ration and devotion." I just thought that was lovely.

Chapter 17, Location 2836
"It seems to me, Capitan, that any general who doesn't imagine a defeat enters battle unprepared." This is also truth!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book of Kings.

July 8, 2015 – Started Reading