Alyssa's Reviews > Even The Score

Publisher: Brazen
Publication Date: July 21, 2015
Rating: 5 stars
Source: eARC from NetGalley

***Warning: this is an adult book, and for the eyes of mature readers***

Summary (from Goodreads):

He'll make her an offer she can't refuse...

Actress Tess McKenzie is performing in the Tenth Circle of Showbiz Hell-dinner theater. All she really wants is to start a theater of her own. Then Tess receives an offer she can't refuse. She'll get her funding...if she pretends to be the fiancée to her nemesis, Texan property tycoon Hunter Dade. If she's going to pull this off, she'll need all the luck she can get. Break a leg, indeed.

On the verge of a big business deal, Hunter needs to hire a fiancée. He hasn't quite forgiven Tess for ruining his wedding, but when their chemistry goes from combative to straight-up lust, the "no sex" clause in their mutually beneficial arrangement is tested. Which is a serious problem, because if Tess isn't careful, she'll go from breaking a leg to breaking her heart...

What I Liked:

This is definitely one of my favorite Brazen books ever! I don't think I've ever rated a Brazen with five stars, but this one deserves it. It isn't super long - under 300 pages - but it is magnificent. I loved it from start to finish. Certain aspects really jumped out at me, and I urge anyone who enjoys adult contemporary romance and/or Brazen's titles to read this one in two weeks!

Tess is a struggling actress that wants to start her ow theater, on her own terms. When Hunter Dade crashes back into her life with a huge offer, Tess finds it difficult to refuse. Play fiancee for a weekend, and get a one hundred thousand dollar check. But there is history between these two - Tess was Jenna's best friend, Jenna being Hunter's former fiancee and bride-to-be. On Hunter and Jenna's wedding day, Jenna left him at the altar, and Tess was the one that broke it to Hunter. Tess and Hunter don't like each other - but that changes very quickly as things between them unexpectedly heat up...

I had my doubts about this one, initially. The guy is going to fall for his former fiancee's best friend/roommate/maid of honor? That seems odd to me, even if it was a year ago (I think it was a year ago). BUT. Here's what I found out: Hunter is a Texan business, buying properties for a living, and his marriage to Jenna would have been a political-type one. A business arrangement, sort of. Which is why Jenna left him at the altar - she had been cheating on him for a long time. Neither of them loved each other, but Hunter really wanted the marriage, for the connections, as well as to have a socialite wife.

Hunter is a complex guy. He grew up in a trailer park and sometimes still considers himself Texan "white trash", which is why he wanted a socialite wife. But Hunter is know a very rich businessman who buys properties. He's trying to buy a specific property from a man he knows, but he will have to procure a fiancee to convince the man that he is living a stable life (and isn't after the man's wife - which Hunter isn't anyway). I like Hunter a lot - he has a good heart, and he is persistent. Also, he is one sexy guy. Dirty talking, smooth, and super hot. He knows how to turn about the heat! Tall, dark, and Texan, he sure is.

Tess is an actress, and she is smart, funny, and feisty. One thing I absolutely LOVED about Tess is her relentless attitude. Once Hunter "hires" her to be his fiancee, he adds a no-sex clause so that it wouldn't be unethical or he wouldn't have her feeling like he was taking advantage of her in any way. However, Tess has other ideas. She is persistent and keeps teasing him, never taking no for an answer when she knows they both want each other. She knows she has an effect on him, and has no problem flaunting her inner sex goddess. Outer sex goddess?

This book is HOT. Let me tell you, it didn't matter how short this book was - the intimate (and/or dirty) scenes were numerous but unique and scorching. The chemistry between these two are basically on fire, and there is no extinguishing it at any point in the book. *fans self*

Another thing that really jumped out at me was the writing style, and the humor. The way Meader wrote this book had it reading very wittily and snarkily (the latter of which is not a word), and with a fair amount of humor. Witty humor, which is my favorite type of humor. Love!

I love the progression of Hunter and Tess's relationship. This book takes place in a weekend, give or take, but the relationship feels very full and developed. I didn't think there was insta-love present - maybe insta-lust (fine by me), but Tess and Hunter do not love each other in the very beginning. I was rooting for them since the scene in the theater though! And then they go and play engaged... Tess learns a lot about Hunter. And she gets a good look at his past and his inner self-deprecating attitude. But their relationship is a strong one, and the finish of this book is very strong.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book. Clearly, since I gave it five stars. I don't dish out the five-star rating often, but there was something about this one! I've already reread it several times. *wink*

What I Did Not Like:

I can't think of anything at the moment that was terribly "bad" or not good... like I said in the beginning - you'd think this romance would be weird, given that it's a guy and his ex-fiancee's best friend. But no, it was not weird at all, and a great romance at that!

Would I Recommend It:

I would absolutely recommend this novel to all romance readers! Especially if you enjoy Brazen's books, definitely give this one a shot. This is my first Meader book and I will definitely be looking out for more from her! Especially from this series.

Rating:

5 stars. I love Brazen books, and this one is one that I will be recommending as long as I am able! I am so glad I did not pass on the opportunity to read it. Be sure that you don't either!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Even The Score.

July 10, 2015 – Started Reading