Skyla's Reviews > Cads and Cadavers

Cads and Cadavers by Kelly Lougheed

Nov 30, 2010

bookshelves: acquired-by-me, mundania-press

Full disclosure: I'm the SE for the publisher of this book and I acquired it. I'm also a fangirl.

For my job, I read and review a lot of books. Thousands. Most I don't get past a couple of paragraphs. Cads and Cadavers, however, had me from the first two lines:

It seemed rather insensitive to dissect her boyfriend’s dead body.

But, just like when the fall dance rolled around, he was kind of her only option.

It's pretty hard to top an opening like that, but Kelly Lougheed surpassed all of my jaded editor expectations with this one. The best way I could describe it is for you to imagine Jane Austen decided to write a contemporary YA vampire novel. It's satirical of the genre without being mean-spirited and silly without being wholly absurd. An academically competitive heroine dissecting her dead boyfriend, black market organ schemes, a friend with a penchant for writing romance novels, and the pesky problem of vampires on campus--this book is nonstop fun.

Kelly's voice leaps off the page, and this is the book I refer to when I talk to writers about the elusive "voice" that some aspiring authors either have or they don't. Kelly has it; her work grabs the reader from the get-go and doesn't let up until "The End." I'm thrilled to have this book in our catalogue and excited we'll be bringing out more of Kelly's books next year.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cads and Cadavers.