Anne's Reviews > Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight Vol 4

Batman by Charles Soule

1720620

liked it
bookshelves: comics, graphic-novels, read-in-2015, random-grabs-from-library

Definitely not required reading.
Legends of the Dark Knight 4 is just a mish-mosh of Batman tales by different authors. A few are decent, some are just trippy, and a few downright suck.
But none of them are great.

I Hate it When He Does That tells how (a much too) young Bruce Wayne learns the art of fading into the shadows. He and Alfred find a girl in Thailand, help rescue her from corrupt government official, and she teaches him the Ways of the Force.
Why did Alfred ever agree to any of this bullshit? Toss that kid on a plane, and get the hell out of that cesspool!

description

Riddler in the Dark is a decent story by Charles Soule. Unsurprisingly, Soule has written one of the better issues.
Riddler needs Batman to help him, but just can't bring himself to ask the nice way.

description

The Pain Cellar is about a childhood memory of Bruce's that resurfaces, Arm Candy is about another (view spoiler) new girlfriend, and The Notebook is about a reporter who's shadowing Bruce for the day.
All of these are written by Frank Hannah, only a few pages long, and all make one (issue?) interconnecting story arc together.

description

The Beautiful Ugly is a dark and depressing Two-Face story.
No redemption for you! <---That was me doing my Soup Nazi voice, btw.

description

Break the Mold features Clayface, with cameos from Joker & Poison Ivy. This was one of the stories that had a trippy/weird ending, and I'm still not sure how I felt about it. Was it cool, was it stupid?
No idea.
I can't believe Batman punched Ivy in her flytrap!

description

Elements of Crime is a throwback/nod to the early (more campy) Batman stories. It really wasn't bad, but I was glad it was only one issue.

description

The Echo of Pearls is an origin story.
I know! I know! I was sooo excited to read about Bruce's origin story, too!

What makes this story different from the other 90 bjillion Batman origin stories out there?
This one is told from the point of view of his CAVE.
No, I am not shitting you. Even the fucking Batcave gets to tell how little Bruce because the Dark Knight.
Hang on. I've got eyestrain from rolling them so much...

description

Bottom line: You don't need to read this. If you can get it from a friend or your library, go for it. But don't pay money for this one!
Recommended for hardcore Batman completionists only.

Get this review and more at:

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Batman.

July 9, 2015 – Started Reading
July 9, 2015 – Shelved
July 26, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)

message 1: by Galen (last edited Jul 31, 2015 05:06AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Galen Annie a good review as always but I flat out hated elements of crime it almost dropped my rating to two stars. I just couldn't stand Robin and his horrible jokes.

The story with clay face definitely let me unsure about how I felt about the story but it did make me think about it.

Anne Thanks! Galen, I can't blame you for hating Elements of Crime. I don't know if you've ever attempted Batman '66, but that one make the jokes in this look cool. Seriously.
Clay Face's story left me feeling like, WTF?

Galen I read your review of Batman '66 so I avoided it but I've been tempted to see if it's as bad as you described lol.

Anne You know, several people really liked it. But if you didn't like the Elements of Crime story in here, stay away. EoC had a teeny-tiny *wink, wink, nudge, nudge* feel to it, where as Batman '66 did not. I kept expecting Bruce or Dick to break the fourth wall and say something to the reader to let them in on the joke, but it never happened. Just a straight up clone of the show. *shrugs*

message 5: by Jeff (new)

Jeff I can't believe Batman punched Ivy in her flytrap!

I thought "flytrap" was a euphemism until I saw the gif.
My library has a few of these volumes.

Anne This isn't bad. It would be a good way to pass the time while your kid raids the fridge.

message 7: by Jeff (new)

Jeff If I haven't told you before, I absolutely love this review!!! Love it!! ;)

Anne Thanks, Jeff! I noticed it needed a few things fixed...

message 9: by Jeff (new)

Jeff I know, it happens to me too quite often...

message 10: by Brian (new)

Brian Poole Wait, there was a story told from the PoV of the Bat-Cave? Speculation on what the writer ingested to hallucinate that idea?

message 11: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Brian wrote: "Wait, there was a story told from the PoV of the Bat-Cave? Speculation on what the writer ingested to hallucinate that idea?"

Whatever Grant Morrison was pushing...

message 12: by Anne (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anne Brian wrote: "Wait, there was a story told from the PoV of the Bat-Cave? Speculation on what the writer ingested to hallucinate that idea?"

Hand on a Bible. It was...odd.

message 13: by Brian (new)

Brian Poole Anne wrote: "Brian wrote: "Wait, there was a story told from the PoV of the Bat-Cave? Speculation on what the writer ingested to hallucinate that idea?"

Hand on a Bible. It was...odd."

Clearly we need a story from the perspective of the Batmobbile. Or maybe Arkham Asylum.

message 14: by Anne (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anne I'm pretty sure those are in the works! *sigh*

message 15: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Anne wrote: "I'm pretty sure those are in the works! *sigh*"

How about a Ace the Bathound/Batmite team-up.

message 16: by Anne (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anne Now, I would have loved to have seen that one!

message 17: by Chris (new)

Chris Great review, Anne!

message 18: by Anne (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anne Thanks, Chris!

message 19: by Reading Corner (new)

Reading Corner Fab review Anne x

message 20: by Anne (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anne Reading Corner wrote: "Fab review Anne x"

Thanks, RC!