Rane's Reviews > The Heir

The Heir by Grace Burrowes

1987431

bookshelves: regency-napoleonic-era, keeper, historical

When it comes to new authors that I pick up to read, I always think of their book as a dish I’ve never tasted before, and this mentality has served me well as I’m rarely disappointed and it’s always nice to have a few recommendations/reviews when trying something new. Grace Burrowes’s The Heir was a yummy debt that was light with a smokin’ hot kick that left me asking for “Seconds Please!”

Gayle Windham, Earl of Westhaven is at the end of his rope- pretty much. Not only is he having to deal with his father a Duke nosing around his fatherly nose where it doesn’t belong and not wanted in a man’s life, but trying to force the issue of an unwanted marriage on his heir. Not to mention the mess Gayle is having to fix the mismanagement by his father and the estates, and taking care of his family…. and finally when having a moments rest, he’s hit over the head by his new housekeeper! But that hit and his new housekeeper may be the answer to thoughts and dreams he didn’t even know he had or wanted!
Anna Seaton has been working for the Earl for these past months trying to make his life easier for she can clearly see the man is overworked as is! Of course she didn’t mean to hit him over the head with a poker, but it looked like he was getting “to friendly” with a maid and girl close to Anna’s heart, which wasn’t the case as he was only trying to help the girl’s as her buttons were caught in the mesh of the fire screen. Anna feels she’s headed straight to the street after she’s told this, but the Earl surprises her when he get some petty revenge as a pain in the butt patient. With her help the Earl gets some work done, but is drawn to Anna and the more they learn about each other the more they can’t stay away from one another!

The Heir is on the lighthearted romance side, with a wonderful cast of characters that give this book a fresh feel to it as the reader is drawn into the book quickly. The story had fresh new take on an old story with the lord falling in love with a servant.

Westhaven isn’t a rake, but overworked and unpaid for all the stuff he has to put up with, but I adored him through and through. He is a romantic and had a soft spot for his family even when they drove him up the wall. He was passionate about everything in life, and when he wanted something, he went for it, and he wanted Anna. Westhaven won my heart over for being the romantic and trying to woo Anna into a courtship, even through she was his housekeeper, he felt a understanding between her that he never dealt with through other women jaded from society. Westhaven shined with not only his interactions between himself and Anna, but with his brothers Val and Devlin whom were very funny when trying to get the love birds together. While a little unrealistic how where status was everything in that time and marrying a housekeeper was unheard of at all, Westhaven’s family pushed the two together, it was very sweet how much they loved him.

Anna had her own troubles she’s been running away from, and as she’s drawn closer to Westhaven the more she wants to run. Light isn’t shown on the mystery behind Anna, and this keeps the reader wondering about whom she really is and why she’s hiding. Anna at times was hard to like, as she get out of her shell then quickly retreat back. When she finally seems to break away from her cage and fly, she goes right back. When the truth is finally reveled, you would think that the love she and Westhaven share would finally get her trusting him, she sadly goes on to become a martyr heroine. Which I think was truly biggest complaint with her. She’s shown to have a huge steel backbone, and is willing to stand up to Westhaven’s pushy father and brothers to protect and help Westhaven, and the care she gives him made them a great couple, but her becoming a martyr and her issues for her lack of trust in Westhaven was weak. Plus the kinda ending that has that “been there done” feel dragged a little with Anna.

I think the real gem in this story was the courtship between Anna and Westhaven. While there is premarital sex between the two, which on the hot scale was “burning hot” Westhaven never seduces or for forces the issues, but wants Anna to accept him as he first tries to woo her, court her and in the end wants to marry her. This was in my mind very sweet and made me enjoy the story that much more even with the few bumps in the road.

The Heir was such a fun, light-hearted and spicy book, that I already have my eye on her next book starring Westhaven’s older brother Devlin - I know what I’m going to pre-order!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Heir.

November 30, 2010 – Shelved
November 30, 2010 – Shelved as: regency-napoleonic-era
January 11, 2011 – Started Reading
January 11, 2011 –
29.0% "Lucky I didn't read this book/scene when I was sick, I think my fever would have spiked a few degrees HOT! HOT!"
January 13, 2011 –
January 13, 2011 – Finished Reading
January 16, 2011 – Shelved as: keeper
September 13, 2013 – Shelved as: historical

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) Looking forward to your review.

Rane Thanks Danielle! I think you'll enjoy this one, it's a light sexy read, with a hottie hero ;D~

message 3: by Crista (new)

Crista I have this on my Kindle and I'm anxious to read it. Piggyback on what Danielle said about the review that's to come. Can't wait!

Mistress   ~ ♠ Mistral's Kiss ♠ ~ (Mist) Ohhh, I'm sold. My TBR list and I, thank you Rane. lol

Heather I can't wait to read this!

Ally72 Great review, Rane! I can't wait to read it!

♡Karlyn P♡ Nice review! I bought it when it was priced at 2.99, and hope to read it soon. Your review may have me move it up, sounds Ike my kind of book.

message 8: by Sans (last edited Jan 16, 2011 09:51AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sans Love the review! Don't you hate it when the heroine goes and messes up a wonderful story?

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) Thanks for the review, Rane. I will definitely read this one!

message 10: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Great review! I got this as a freebie and have seen many good reviews for it....this one just bumps it up on my list to read soon :)

message 11: by Rane (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rane Heather wrote: "I can't wait to read this!"

:D I think you'll love it Heather!

message 12: by Rane (last edited Jan 16, 2011 11:27AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rane Ally wrote: "Great review, Rane! I can't wait to read it!"

Thanks Ally! It's a great hot goodie read!

message 13: by Rane (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rane KarLynP wrote: "Nice review! I bought it when it was priced at 2.99, and hope to read it soon. Your review may have me move it up, sounds Ike my kind of book."

Thank you Karlyn! This book is very sweet and light (and very hot!) I can't wait to read what you think of it!

message 14: by Rane (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rane Sans wrote: "Love the review! Don't you hate it when the heroine goes and messes up a wonderful story?"

Thank you Sans!
Gods yeah...I wanted to kick her in the butt when she went all martyr I was like "If you don't want him I'll gladly take Westhaven off your hands" *big grin*

message 15: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Wonderful review, Rane! I've had my eye on this book, your review has sealed it's fate; I must read it!! :)

message 16: by Rane (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rane Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "Thanks for the review, Rane. I will definitely read this one!"

Thank you Lady D!
After our conversation about premarital sex between H/H in romance books, I thought to add that it's no where like the other book we talked about, plus Westhaven is such a sweetheart I think you love him!

message 17: by Rane (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rane Lisa wrote: "Great review! I got this as a freebie and have seen many good reviews for it....this one just bumps it up on my list to read soon :)"

Thank you Lisa!
All the great reviews you read are just deserved, this book was downright fun and sexy! I look forward to your review!

message 18: by Rane (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rane Cheryl wrote: "Wonderful review, Rane! I've had my eye on this book, your review has sealed it's fate; I must read it!! :)"

Thank you Cheryl! I don't think you'll be disappointed, just make sure you have something cool nearby to drink as this is one spicy book! ;D

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) I appreciate that Rane. I can deal with the PM sex, but I don't like the coercion scenario much at all in that other book.

message 20: by Dina (new) - added it

Dina Great review, Rane. As you mentioned, the setup is unrealistic but I can go along with it. After all, Cinderella is one of my favorite fairy tales. :)

message 21: by Rane (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rane Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "I appreciate that Rane. I can deal with the PM sex, but I don't like the coercion scenario much at all in that other book."

*nods* Thankfully, you won't find that scenario in The Heir

message 22: by Rane (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rane Dina wrote: "Great review, Rane. As you mentioned, the setup is unrealistic but I can go along with it. After all, Cinderella is one of my favorite fairy tales. :)"

Thank you Dina, it was a tad unrealistic but just down right fun, so it doesn't hinder the story and just a joy to read

message 23: by Shawna (new) - added it

Shawna Great review, Rane! I'm looking forward to reading this one!

message 24: by Rane (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rane Shawna wrote: "Great review, Rane! I'm looking forward to reading this one!"

Thank you Shawna! It's a hot goodie!

message 25: by AH (new) - added it

AH Sounds good. I'll have to add another book to Mt. TBR. Great review!

message 26: by Rane (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rane AH wrote: "Sounds good. I'll have to add another book to Mt. TBR. Great review!"

Thank you AH!

message 27: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Alright, you've sold me. Although I'm am rather sad to hear that the heroine turns into a bit of a martyr. But the rest of it sounds like it's worth ignoring that little detail.

message 28: by Rane (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rane Catherine wrote: "Alright, you've sold me. Although I'm am rather sad to hear that the heroine turns into a bit of a martyr. But the rest of it sounds like it's worth ignoring that little detail."

*LOL* You won't be disappointed Catherine! Yeah, the heroine was a little pain, but the rest of the book thankfully does make up for this :D