Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede's Reviews > Jaws

Jaws by Peter Benchley

bookshelves: read-2015

First I want to thank Steven Spielberg for ruining the fun with swimming in lakes as a child. because of course there could be sharks in lakes...in Sweden. Second, I want to thank him for letting Ellen Brody be a background character in the movie so the movie wasn't ruined by that F*****g bitch.

Jaws is one of my favorite movies. So it's kind of strange it has taken me this long to read the book. I remember that my brother had the book and I was curious about it, but I just never read it. I remember checking the beginning of the book to see if the beginning was just like the first scene from the movie. But I just never bothered reading it.

My eyes caught the cover of this book among my Ebooks when it was time to pick a book a couple of days ago and I thought, "what the heck, let's skip all the ARC's for now and read a book I have bought".

I enjoyed the book it was good. Well, most of it. I came to enjoy the mafia angle that the movie didn't have and it was interesting to get a deeper understanding of the economic consequences of closing the beaches. What I didn't like was the Ellen Brody drama. She has a great marriage, a loving husband, and three great sons, but she is still unhappy. And, then Matt Hopper arrives at the island. Not to spoil the book. But God dammit. That part of the book made me angry. So angry that I wished she had been on the damn boat at the end with Brody, Quint, and Hopper.

Despite being a good book can't I help to think that the movie is just so much better. It's not that long ago that I watched it, but I do feel like watching it again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jaws.

July 8, 2015 – Shelved
July 8, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
July 8, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read-own
November 12, 2015 – Started Reading
November 13, 2015 –
34.0% "Been reading a lot of must read books, arcs, library books and blog tour books. So last night I decided to pick something that looked like something I really wanted to read with no obligations. Love this movie and so far the book is really good, can't believe I have waited this long time to read it..."
November 13, 2015 –
53.0% "Well Ellen, you have a great husband that loves you, 3 wonderful children and you're still not happy and then you do something like this? Why don't you go and take a swim..."
November 13, 2015 – Finished Reading
November 16, 2015 – Shelved as: read-2015

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)

message 1: by ᴥ Irena ᴥ (new)

ᴥ Irena ᴥ That particular thing is the reason I keep avoiding this book. I know what happens and I am glad that isn't in the film. Great review, Magdalena. :)

message 2: by Mark (new)

Mark Indeed a case of the movie being better enjoyable than the book.

Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede ⊱ Irena ⊰ wrote: "That particular thing is the reason I keep avoiding this book. I know what happens and I am glad that isn't in the film. Great review, Magdalena. :)"

Yeah, that's the only part of the book that was really bad. Thank you! :)

Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede Mark wrote: "Indeed a case of the movie being better enjoyable than the book."

Oh yes, without a doubt! :)

Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede Ana wrote: "One of my favorite movies of all time! The book is great too."

Yeah, I love that movie and the book was quite enjoyable also! :)

Melki Agreed! The movie is much better. This is one of the cases where the screenwriter does the job an editor should have done by getting rid of unnecessary characters and storylines.

Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede Melki wrote: "Agreed! The movie is much better. This is one of the cases where the screenwriter does the job an editor should have done by getting rid of unnecessary characters and storylines."

Precisely. Sometimes screenwriters do a really damn good job! :)

message 8: by Jose (new) - added it

Jose I have a paperback waiting to be read...

Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede Jose wrote: "I have a paperback waiting to be read..."

Oh, what are you waiting for? ;)

message 10: by Lynn (new) - rated it 1 star

Lynn Magdalena I completely agree. I gave the book two stars for the needless and pointless racist undertones, I did not see this book as an analysis or insight into class warfare like another reviewer did, I only saw Ellen Brody as bored and insecure and lacking any real moral fiber or substance. And I was also utterly terrified of any body of water or even swimming pools until I was at least ten. The book is a waste of time. I'll keep watching the movie.
Great review. :)