Jean's Reviews > Calling the Wind: Twentieth-Century African-American Short Stories

Calling the Wind by Clarence Major

bookshelves: anthology, short-stories

This anthology of short stories by African Americans include all ot the greats from the 20th century which includes Paul Laurence Dunbar, Jean Toomer, Zora Neale Hurston, James Baldwin, and many more. I have previously read many of the stories such as Percival Everetts's, Age Would Be That Does; Jamaica Kincaid's, Girl; and Arna Bontemps, A Summer Tragedy.

It's difficult to select favorites from among such greats, however, I will settle for Ernest Gaines', A Long Day in November which depicts love and forgiveness of a husband, wife and very young son in the segreated south.
Langston Hughes writes a very terse, brief, though comedic story of "Passing" during the Harlem Negro Renaissance in Who's Passing for Who?
One of my all time favorites that I will read again is Toni Cade Bambara's The Lesson which is a sort of coming of age story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Calling the Wind.

November 29, 2010 – Shelved
Started Reading
December 4, 2010 – Finished Reading
December 6, 2010 – Shelved as: anthology
December 6, 2010 – Shelved as: short-stories

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by jo (new)

jo oh, nice.

Jean jo wrote: "oh, nice."

I absolutely do not remember writing this review or reading this book. Somethings amiss.

message 3: by jo (new)

jo i love it when that happens, cuz it means that i read a lot more books than i remember. it comforts me. :)