Gus Sanchez's Reviews > A Visit from the Goon Squad

Nov 29, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: overrated
Read from June 06 to 29, 2011

Yet another National Book Award winner that frustrated me.

Praise is due to Jennifer Egan's writing, strong, concise, elegant. But the frequent narrative jumps made me feel as if I needed either a cheat sheet or a traffic cop just to keep both me and the book in place.

It's not to say that "A Visit From the Goon Squad" is a bad book. Far from it. But there's a better book in there, one that I felt was buried by Egan's virtuoso writing display. And the characters were not compelling enough to be interesting. Honestly, I couldn't be bothered with Sasha or Bennie, the principal characters. However, the stories of Jules Jones, Kitty Jackson, and Dolly Peale were fascinating. I'd love to know more about them.

Finally, I couldn't decide whether that entire chapter written in PowerPoint was a stroke of genius or the biggest crock of shit ever.

06/06/2011 page 26
06/15/2011 page 65
24.0% "Holy narrative shifts, Batman! I gotta say I'm not all that thrilled with the sudden changes in POV narration, but the writing is solid. Must resist urge to toss book across the room..."
06/20/2011 page 117
43.0% 2 comments
11/26/2016 marked as: read
show 3 hidden updates…

message 1: by Brittomart (last edited Jun 30, 2011 07:53AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Brittomart Gus, like, yo! Exactly what I was thinking! I loved the writing, but..yeah. No matter how hard I tried, I could not give two shits about Sasha. I think she gave her red hair to make her interesting.

message 2: by Gus (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gus Sanchez The more I read about Kitty Jackson, the more I thought, "Lindsay Lohan."

Seriously.

Brittomart I was thinking more Miley Cyrus if she had cocaine and talent.

Abram Dorrough Definitely belongs on an "overrated" shelf.