Jane's Reviews > Live to Tell

Live to Tell by Lisa Gardner

Nov 29, 2010

This is the 4th installment of the D.D. Warren books written by Lisa Gardner, and I think her best so far. Gardner's books are always a bit disturbing, and this installment even more so. Live to Tell is about the murder of several families that have children with severe mental illness. We learn about the affects of extremely disturbed children on their parents and siblings. These families live in fear of their children hurting themselves and others in very violent ways. Warren is trying to figure out if the two murdered families self-destructed or were murdered by an outsider. Narration by several different characters keeps the action moving quickly and gives the reader a glimpse into the workings of an acute care hospital for mentally ill juveniles. It seems the medical choices are few, and behavior therapy is necessary for long periods of time. Many of these severely ill children end up institutionalized. I finished this mystery in two nights, as I was unable to put the book away without finding out if the Oliver family lived or died. The ending was hopeful, but there was still much healing to be done.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Live to Tell.