Alex Bennett's Reviews > Forsaken Harbor

Forsaken Harbor by Laura Kreitzer

Nov 29, 2010

Please check out Electrifying Reviews for more reviews like this, plus giveaways, interviews, and more!

I really enjoyed Phantom Universe, the first book in the Summer Chronicles when I read it last year, and I was eager to get my hands on Forsaken Harbor soon after I finished. However, as the release date continued to get pushed back, I forgot about Phantom Universe, and my excitement for the next book went down. This carried across when I actually started to read Forsaken Harbor.

It’s not that I still didn’t enjoy Forsaken Harbor, because I totally did. I just felt like my initial love of the first book didn’t occur as much with the sequel. The plot was slower, I feel, and I just had trouble really getting back into the world or connecting with the characters or story.

Laura Kreitzer is a super talented author, and I still enjoy her writing style. It’s in a tense that not many authors I read use—third person, present, and sometimes that prevents me from connecting fully, but I still very much enjoy her writing and the world she’s created is imaginative. Her characters have dimension, and she just really knows what she’s doing. She’s a great writer, that’s really what I’m trying to say.

Summer changed a lot in Forsaken Harbor, and I found myself liking her much more this time around. This was not the case with the other characters, however. Really, I didn’t connect with them like I would have hoped. They do some things that I didn’t like, and it made me hard to like them. Also, I almost felt like there were too many main characters, and I do end up getting them all mixed up sometimes.

Forsaken Harbor was a slow, entertaining sequel to Phantom Universe, and definitely shows a different side to the world Summer and her friends occupy. Though I didn’t like it as much as the first book, I’d still recommend giving this series a read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Forsaken Harbor.

November 29, 2010 – Shelved