Amy's Reviews > Go Ask Alice

Go Ask Alice by Beatrice Sparks

Nov 29, 2010

bookshelves: own
Read in March, 2011 — I own a copy

** spoiler alert ** In my opinion GO ASK ALICE is a very realistic book. Because it was written and published in 1971 you have to forgive the book being a generation behing in coolness, if you will. However, coolness is not what GO ASK ALICE is about. This diary style written book is a story of a 15 year old girl who goes through the trials and tribulations of the basic teenager who throughout the book remain anonymous. Anon finds her diary to be her only friend and confides in it for almost 2 years. During this time she goes through truly horrific experiences.

There are a total of two diaries total and the end of the book is completely left unexplained. I wish that would have been more clear. Obviously, if this really is based on a true diary and Anon decided not to continue to write anymore, we would not know but I don't believe that Anon had a relapse. I just wish there would have been some more of the diary.

I hope that the kids in this generation won't let the verbage in GO ASK ALICE turn them off to reading this book because it's very informal and should really be read in it's entirety. I have read reviews that a lot of kids quit the book or that it's fake, etc.

This is for those people:

1. Read the book completely and we'll talk.

2. Have you been there? Yes, I mean right up in the middle of an acid trip. Good or bad. Smoked a doobie? Snorted a line? Shot up some heroin? Candy-flipped? Ate a handful of shrooms?

3. Don't judge or talk about things unless you REALLY know what you're talking about.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Go Ask Alice.

Quotes Amy Liked

Beatrice Sparks
“I'm not really sure which parts of myself are real and which parts are things I've gotten from books.”

Beatrice Sparks
“I guess I'll never measure up to anyone's expectations. I surely don't measure up to what I'd like to be.”

Beatrice Sparks
“I'm afraid to live and afraid to die.”

02/19/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Definitely an important book that explains how lives are changed by the decisions we make.

message 2: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy Agreed, Eileen. Some can say "oh I wouldn't do that" but if the opportunity knocked.. "would you" or how about if the lsd was slipped in your drink..
makes you think, doesn't it!

message 3: by Ashley (new)

Ashley I read this book last year, and I agree that it is very informative, and though I understood that what happened was a few decades ago, I'm afraid Alice's language did kind of turn me off. I kept reading it though and was not really pleased with the way it ended.

Edmund Davis-Quinn It's fiction and ridiculous.

message 5: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy Edmund wrote: "It's fiction and ridiculous."

You are correct. The book is fiction. However, if you think that these events do not happen in reality then I feel very sorry for you.

message 6: by Tim (new)

Tim Robbins They don't. Sigh, they just don't. This book was just silly. LSD laced drink...now you're a fucking junkie? And her purported "graphic" experiences were just so forced and over-the-top. Btw, to answer question 2...Yes, all of them and literally like 50+ more. I've the seen the best of times, and the worst of times and this book is in no way an accurate description of that particular lifestyle or its resulting consequences. To think people have felt moved something this trashy really sickens me...

message 7: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy Seriously. You think that kids (even adults) can repeatedly take LSD AND ENJOY IT and not eventually begin to have a problem. Dude. You are living in a dream world. I'm not sure that this book is meant to make people feel moved, I think and hope more that it would raise an awareness.

message 8: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy I would also appreciate if you wouldn't troll my reviews. If you want to have an opinion, that's cool but why don't you write a review on the book yourself and explain how you feel. Trolling and trashing reviews that people have taken the time to write is just not cool. Not at all.

Katarina Def know all about drug addiction...and this book was horrible.

Kristina We just read this as a novel in class and I loved it! It was really interesting and I enjoyed it more than most books. I was in a group with another girl and two boys, one of the boys said he had to skip a couple pages because it was too disturbing. Meanwhile I would read it again. Oh and the girl, when she read the last page she said "What the Hell" then chucked the book across the room. I don't know if they liked it but i definitely did.

Danielle Hyland I do agree that 'Alice' was a BASIC example of a teenager - she had no depth to her personalty, no charachter - i was too caught up in her pathetic self-loathing attitude to enjoy the book.
Though, i have to say the morals of the story where there and are informative ( especially drug relative), as im sure those events do take place in real life.
But the book wa done in a way that i really did not take that into account as i was just waiting to get past some of her more dreary passages to the end of the book.

message 12: by Scott (new) - rated it 1 star

Scott My friends and I had "been there" before being forced to read this drivel back in high school. It was obvious to us that this was fake without looking it up online. Had a good laugh about how silly it was. All of us turned out fine by the way, despite an equally free spirited time at university. Thanks to the wealth of accurate information online and a modicum of intelligence we were able to make *informed* decisions and not go off the deep end.

Melissa Amy, Tim Robbins didn't appear to be "trolling" you or your review...just stating his more mature and informed opinion, which is what the comment option is for, don't you think? This book is just a right wing propaganda rag designed to misinform and frighten rather than educate and nurture. Seriously, the woman (Author) was an utter fraud and in most cases just gave young pre-teens a few cheap thrills, which they later laughed about when they were old enough to see through how thick the bullcrap really was.