C.G. Drews's Reviews > Look Me in the Eye: My Life with Asperger's

Look Me in the Eye by John Elder Robison

bookshelves: adult, autism, non-fiction, read-2015

OKAY THIS WAS GLORIOUS. I'm always nervous of memoirs and, particularly, adult books...because I am Peter Pan, okay?? I am not growing into adult books. Return me to the children's aisle ASAP. *ahem* BUT! This was so easy to read and funny and engaging and interesting and I basically did not want to put it down. I was doing the whole "oh one more chapter and I'll go to bed...um, just one more...just one more." Addictive = yes.

Also it's by someone with Asperger's so you know all his memories and feelings and experiences are 100% true (unlike some other awful AS books I've read...ugh. let's not even talk about them). And I think this gives you a fantastic view of how being Aspergic is sometimes an "invisible thing" and it can affect your life 100% but people just assume you're being belligerent or annoying or, as was John Elder's experience, "most likely to end up a serial killer" despite him being a very non-violent person. SO THIS BOOK IS JUST GRAND, OKAY??

The only part I didn't like was in the middle. It lagged a lot. And it got really focused on how he was revamping amps for the bands he worked for and -- I don't even care. BUT. At the same time, it really showed how obsessed he was with mechanics (a very clear AS trait) and the story would be patchy and confusing without those chapters. But I was a less-than-interested there.

And there are some chapters towards the end which are JUS TSO GOOD I COULDN'T EVEN PUT THE BOOK DOWN. GAWSH.

So for someone who's allergic to both memoirs AND adult books and yet loved this??? I doubly recommend it. I also want to read Running with Scissors, which is a memoir by his little brother (who then encouraged John to write HIS memoir) and I'm also curious about the book John mentions in the memoir called Born on a Blue Day: Inside the Extraordinary Mind of an Autistic Savant. I love books that recommend books. So helpful. So kind. Thank you John Elder Robinson. HE IS A BRILLIANT HUMAN.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Look Me in the Eye.

July 7, 2015 – Shelved
July 7, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
August 13, 2015 – Started Reading
August 13, 2015 – Shelved as: adult
August 13, 2015 – Shelved as: autism
August 13, 2015 – Shelved as: non-fiction
August 13, 2015 – Shelved as: read-2015
August 13, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Shanna Same! I just finished it today on audible. It is awesome to hear him tell the story and, though the middle lagged, I felt it was authentic. I don't like biographies normally because I end up being disappointed in the person I'm reading about. But this one? This was great. He inspires me instead of disappointing me. I hope he continues to write more books even after the ones he has already written. I found it relatable as far as some of the social skills things and the other aspergian traits. Thank you, John Elder. :)

jennifer summers! i read a book say alright bedtime but i never fall asleep.