TL 's Reviews > The Distant Marvels

The Distant Marvels by Chantel Acevedo

liked it
Recommended to TL by: random sighting at BAM

Perhaps she is right, that there is no reason to suffering, no fair dealing when it comes to meting out bliss and pain. There are just choices, and the echoes of those choices.

The memory of her in that moment, ragged and hostile, remained a vague one for a long time. It became clear only a few months later, when I'd seen enough to make meaning of those blurry shapes. I cannot pinpoint the exact moment when the remembrance suddenly sharpened in my head, but it was similar to the feeling of putting on eyeglasses for the first time.

I realized two things that night. The first was that LuLu admired my father in direct relation to his status as a rebel. She'd left Julio Reyes in Havana without much of a thought once Agustin returned, bloody and smelling of smoke. Now, at Dos Rios, another man threatened to trump my father's allegiance to the cause, and hence, take his place in my mother's estimation.

A lush and beautifully written book, I loved hearing the stories of Maria Sirena's life and what she and her family went through. It draws you in and it's easy to get lost in the story.

At times, the book dipped back and forth, for short times it wouldn't keep me interested but then would bounce back.

It's a low key novel in some ways and it does pull at your heartstrings. I would recommend it, be patient and just flow with the story, it may surprise you :).

Happy reading!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Distant Marvels.

July 7, 2015 – Started Reading