Nick Brett's Reviews > The Gypsy Morph

The Gypsy Morph by Terry Brooks

Nov 29, 2010

it was ok

I've read the other reviews of this book from the many fans of Terry Brooks and his world of Shannara and I have to say I disagree. I am sure I will bear the brunt of their displeasure but this really didn't do it for me.
I read the original Shannara books many years ago and then kind of moved on. The same story kept being told and, frankly I got bored with the plotting and the repetitive and somewhat simplistic style of writing. But then out came Armageddon's Children which dealt with the end of the world as 'we' know it and had an interesting post apocalyptic setting. This was followed by the fairly forgettable Elves of Cintra which introduced the elves that nobody knew about and threw them into the post apocalyptic mix along with the surviving humans and the evolving demons. So here we have the end of the trilogy with the emergence of the Gypsy Morph and our surviving humans and elves heading for a place of safety from the end of our world. So amongst the various chase and quest scenes the author has fun by throwing in modern technology along with the magic, so we have machine guns and a kind of armoured vehicle (that reminded me of the one in that awful film Damnation Valley) and a man in a nuclear bunker.
I think this will be my last visit to the world of Shannara. While the author shows us a pre-history to Shannara he fails to really make it either very interesting or very tense. Part of the problem is that by nature of the other books, you know whether the journey and quest in the book will succeed and indeed the very first chapter hints at how it may well all come about. So no surprises as our bunch of rather dull characters head off to start the promised land of Shannara and this will be the last book I read by Mr Brooks as he wrings more then you would have thought possible out of his imaginary world. Stop the bus, I'm getting off.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gypsy Morph.