Jo (Mixed Book Bag)'s Reviews > A Murder of Mages

A Murder of Mages by Marshall Ryan Maresca

bookshelves: fantasy, magic, mystery, netgalley, paranormal, paranormal-mystery, series

This is hands down the best new series I have read this year.

Both the worldbuilding and backstory are right on target. Both unfolded before me as I read. It was so seamless that instead of interfering with the story it added to it.

The characters and their development were the perfect fit for the plot. We meet Satrine Rainey as the book opens and she had a lie in her pocket. It takes awhile to see why she needs the lie but that is such an important part of who she is. Her family is her prime concern and she needs the lie to keep that family together. Turns out she is very good at the job the lie brings her.

Minox Welling cannot keep a partner. He is brilliant but in a very offbeat way. He sees the facts in a way other do not. In addition he has a secret that is not that much of a secret. Most people cannot follow his logic but Satrine not only follows she can take it one step further.

As he and Satrine work together you see why they are such a good fit. A great cast of secondary characters aids them.

Mages are being murdered and it is up to Minox and Satrine to find out why. There are plenty of twists and turns in the story. Satrine’s secret comes out. Minox learns his secret is interfering with his ability to work the case. Even as the case is solved Minox sees what others do not. There is much more to the murders than came out.

An important fact for the series is the file of closed cases that Minox has. While they are closed Minox feels that they were not solved correctly. I see future books in that group of files.

A Murder of Mages is an exciting well-written book. Satrine and Minox are strong characters with very different personal lives. I like that fact that they are great partners but work is their only common dominator. All in all this is a great start to a new series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Murder of Mages.

Started Reading