Deborah's Reviews > The Wabi-Sabi House: The Japanese Art of Imperfect Beauty

The Wabi-Sabi House by Robyn Griggs Lawrence

Nov 28, 2010

bookshelves: interior-decor-design

Most decorating books are eye candy; this one is soul food. If you aren’t familiar with wabi-sabi, it’s a Japanese philosophy closely tied to Zen Buddhism, almost impossible to explain in few words to people from western cultures. But for the sake of a book review, I’ll attempt it… The concept of wabi includes harmony, balance, simplicity, and humility; sabi translates literally as “the bloom of time”. Taken together, the words describe the beauty of everyday, functional objects that we cherish because they are well used, patinated, handmade, and tied to memories. It’s living in the moment, modestly and authentically. The author — also editor of Natural Home magazine — explains the concepts and their history thoroughly, then suggests ways to bring them into our modern lives and homes. So inspiring!

An absolute must-read for anyone interested in the related ideas of slowness, voluntary simplicity, or environmentally-friendly and natural living.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wabi-Sabi House.