Brooke's Reviews > Three Novels: O Pioneers!, the Song of the Lark, and My Antonia

Three Novels by Willa Cather

F 50x66
Nov 28, 2010

This book came highly recommended from a friend. I had read My Antonia in school and that was enough to turn me off Willa Cather. I mean, I just didn't care -- and frankly, I was not mature enough to appreciate it.

I'm glad I re-read it because it's beautiful and heartbreaking. In this collection, though, my favorite is O Pioneers! Everyone seems to include The Great Gatsby among the "great American novels" but no one mentions O Pioneers! in the same company. They should. O Pioneers! shows some much about America -- the hard work and determination of immigrants, the longing for a better life, wholesome love versus marriages of convenience, and tragedy....(no spoilers.) If you haven't read it, you must.

Song of the Lark is an excellent portrait of a woman struggling to become an artist and dealing with the price of fame.

I was able to download this volume for free on my Kindle, but it would have been worth buying. It is certainly worth the investment of time to read (or re-read) these classics.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Three Novels.