Catherine Gillespie's Reviews > Misdiagnosis and Dual Diagnoses of Gifted Children and Adults: ADHD, Bipolar, OCD, Asperger's, Depression, and Other Disorders

Misdiagnosis and Dual Diagnoses of Gifted Children and Adults by James T. Webb

liked it
bookshelves: giftedness, parenting, personality

It turns out that common characteristics of gifted children and adults are often misdiagnosed as mental illness or disorder. Misdiagnosis and Dual Diagnoses of Gifted Children and Adults contains exceptionally helpful comparisons between behaviors and markers for a variety of illnesses and the ways giftedness can look like those conditions but is actually different. The book also goes into what to look for when a child or adult has a dual diagnosis–that is, the person is gifted AND has another condition, and how that dual diagnosis often presents differently or can be overlooked. The information is complex, but the detail is critical if you are at all unsure about what someone is telling you about your child.

This book does NOT take the line that you shouldn’t medicate children at all, ever. It just counsels restraint and accurate diagnosis prior to medicating, which seems eminently reasonable to me, especially as so many of the case studies in the book involve kids being given serious drugs designed to treat conditions the children did not even have–to the detriment of the child’s development.

Even if you aren’t currently dealing with a potential diagnosis issue, I still might recommend this resource for parents of gifted kids in general. I’ve read plenty of books on the topic, but this one presents data-driven findings about the way gifted kids think and react to situations that I found helpful for all of my kids. The authors point out that often giftedness is a touchy topic because it strikes people–even people who are gifted themselves–as gilding the lilly, but in reality parenting kids who think differently, experience life differently, and engage differently and more intensely can be very, very challenging. This part of the book is insightful, encouraging, and helpful.

{Read more from my round up of books about dealing with intensity and giftedness on A Spirited Mind}

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Misdiagnosis and Dual Diagnoses of Gifted Children and Adults.

July 6, 2015 – Started Reading