rachel • typed truths's Reviews > The Ruins of Gorlan

The Ruins of Gorlan by John Flanagan

Jul 06, 2015

bookshelves: favourites-2015, read-2015, own, 4-star, paranormal-fantasy-uf

I just finished writing a review and it didn't save properly. Sigh. I'm going to keep this short now, because I am not in the mood to rewrite it.

This book took me completely by surprise. It took many elements of a typical fantasy but scraped the magical elements to spin a story that centered around a clever new world and a wonderful cast of characters. The pace of the book was a little slow at first, and a lot of information was given to build up the setting. The second half was more action based, and I think that worked much better. I absolutely adored the protagonist Will. He reminded me a little of Alex Rider in the way that he was brave, quick-witted, sweet, adventurous, and a little mischievous. The relationship between him and Halt was perfect. It had just the right amount of strict teacher-like awkwardness and tender father-like moments too.

Overall, I would recommend this book to younger readers looking for a good introduction into the fantasy genre. A pleasant surprise. I plan on picking up the sequel right now.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ruins of Gorlan.

Jordan Yay! You read it!!

rachel • typed truths I did! I'm reading the second book at the moment. It's pretty good. I think Nathanael recommended them to me... :)

Travis Bughi I enjoyed them well enough to get through the first 6, but kind of fell out of the series after that. I also gave the first book 4 stars.

rachel • typed truths It seems a great series so far. I finished book 3 last night, but I know it is quite a long series and that scares me a little! I don't want it to get repetitive or dull. Fingers crossed I'll make it pass the sixth booK!