Gavin's Reviews > ODY-C, Vol. 1: Off to Far Ithicaa

ODY-C, Vol. 1 by Matt Fraction

it was ok
bookshelves: digital, netgalley, comics, started-and-put-down

While the idea is interesting, changing the setting of Homer's Odyssey to Sci-Fi and the genders all reversed, the actual execution is lacking.
In some places the art is wow cool, in others I feel like I could draw a more accurate body on a humanoid character.
Trying to match the prose style of epic poetry is admirable, but nuts. Fraction can't tell if he's going modern futuristic dialogue or ye olde Greek...it's frustrating.

The triumph of this book is the colouring. Whoever the colourist is should win awards.

This was a free read now book of NetGalley, and thanks for it. The words above represent my honest opinion.

Fraction is becoming a little too miss and not enough hit for me lately, but that's just my thoughts. He not boring, though. I will always give him that!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read ODY-C, Vol. 1.

July 5, 2015 – Shelved
July 5, 2015 – Shelved as: comics
July 5, 2015 – Shelved as: started-and-put-down
July 5, 2015 – Shelved as: digital
July 5, 2015 – Shelved as: netgalley
July 5, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
July 6, 2015 – Started Reading
July 6, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

Catherine Exactly how I felt!

Gavin It's a shame but it was soooo ugly and the story wasn't translating well. One of them has to work or there's no point in reading.

Laurance The second volume has more comprehensible writing, is a little less avante garde. I can't agree with you on the art, I love it, and I am very okay with the body shapes not always being accurate.