Camilla's Reviews > Guardian of the Dead

Guardian of the Dead by Karen Healey

bookshelves: own

This was quite a story. The beginning was full of loose ends that left you questioning what was happening and what the characters were hiding, but as the story progressed everything in the mystery was revealed and all the loose ends tied up, leaving you shocked at what the story had become. The beginning leaves you thinking that this is just another teen novel where a girl becomes interested in a mysterious guy, but it was so, so, so incredibly far from that, it left me dumbfounded as I read. Healey did an amazing job of creating this story with an average girl slowly entering a world with a history full of rich mythology and magic. The depth of this book was incredible. It was defiantly strange at times, and very out of the ordinary, but I really liked the fact that it was so out of range from what I usually read. It was interesting, captivating and intriguing. The romance and intricate mystery left me hooked.

Ellie is your average girl attending Mansfield Boarding School in New Zealand, but her normal life suddenly turns in the opposite direction. She went from hanging out with her best friend Kevin, and working on normal homework---to worrying about what exactly Mark Nolan is keeping a secret, and if he has some kind of magical abilities. She ran into him on the street, and ever since that strange encounter she has been noticing strange things. She sees more of Mark, and he warns her not to walk alone at night, which she agrees to, but soon forgets...Mark is doing something to her mind, and she has no idea what he is all about.
Things get stranger; Ellie has agreed to help with a play, she meets new people and a new cast member who is simply bad news. When Ellie saw her for the first time, she could have sworn that she saw this woman with no pupils, she is oddly beautiful and seems to be interested in Kevin for the wrong reasons, But he doesn't seem to notice. It's as if he is under her spell, and Ellie has a feeling that Mark knows more about this woman..
The strangeness doesn't end there, an old preacher shoves a bible into her chest saying that she will need it to save her soul, and she sees a mask that tingles under her touch, giving the feeling that it holds some sort of magic. Ellie has so many questions that are needed to be answered and it looks as if Mark is the only one who can, but he says that he cannot speak a word of what she wants to know.
The mystery comes together as the truths are revealed, everything comes together and Ellie discovers the reason behind everything--including why people are being murdered and left with their eyes missing...

I had no idea that this book would turn out the way it did, and all I have left to say is Brav-freakin-o to Karen Healey for writing this book, it's her first novel but after finishing this book, it gave me the impression that she's been writing novels her whole life. An overall, great read!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Guardian of the Dead.

Started Reading