April Plummer's Reviews > Eighteen Acres

Nov 27, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: women-s-fiction
Read in November, 2010 — I own a copy

I enjoyed this book, though I think the premise is why I gave it only 3 stars.

The things I liked:

I liked that even though I wanted to hate Dale and Peter, the two carrying on an extramarital affair, I couldn't. I empathized with them for some reason, despite the fact that my first marriage ended because of my husband's affair. I think this speaks well of Wallace's writing ability.

I also empathized with Charlotte and Melanie. I loved Charlotte being the first woman president and thought her story to be quite realistic. That could happen, very easily. I thought Melanie was the strongest character, and I admired her aspirations and confidence. I understood how she came to be burned out by the end of the novel.

Things I didn't like:

I'm not sure I liked how the story ended. I didn't think Melanie should have taken another position in the White House because it was obvious she had lost her zest for it.

I also thought that Wallace's writing, as a whole, by the end of the novel, had lost most of its appeal. It felt as though she rushed the ending, just to finish it and tie up all the loose ends so everyone was happy. I don't necessarily think everything should have ended differently, it just seemed rushed. I lost my connection to the characters and stopped caring so much what happened to them.

All in all, however, I loved the premise. I loved the female President, and even though I think her choice of running mate during the election was very unrealistic, I liked the dynamics the woman brought into the story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eighteen Acres.

06/02/2016 marked as: read