Matthew's Reviews > The Shadow of the Wind

The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón

This is an excellent piece of literature. It contains poetic storytelling, shocking twists, thoroughly developed characters, symbolism, humor, romance, betrayal, action, sentimentality, nostalgia, and much, much more.

For book lovers it is perfect because it revolves around the mysteries of a little known author (Julian Carax) that the main protagonist, Daniel, stumbles across in a secret stash of literature called the Cemetery of Forgotten books. From there it quickly develops into a fantastic story of good vs. evil; driven by jealousy and shrouded in the unknown.

I saw some complaints that this book is slow. I can understand that - it is not a light book and it is not a quick read. But, the payoff from getting immersed in the thick narrative is totally worth the extra time in the end.

Lovers of books, lovers of historical fiction, lovers of mysteries with shocking twists, lovers of complex romance/revenge story lines, lovers of ultimate good vs evil battles - step right in to The Cemetery of Forgotten Books . . . and lose yourself in The Shadow of the Wind.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shadow of the Wind.

Quotes Matthew Liked

Carlos Ruiz Zafón
“People talk too much. Humans aren't descended from monkeys. They come from parrots.”
Carlos Ruiz Zafón, The Shadow of the Wind

August 3, 2015 –
page 77
August 4, 2015 –
page 120
24.64% "Who is Carax really?"
August 5, 2015 –
page 147
August 6, 2015 –
page 173
August 11, 2015 –
page 206
42.3% "I need more time on my lunch break! I should have finished this by now!"
August 11, 2015 –
page 242
August 12, 2015 –
page 273
56.06% "I got to a place in the book where the storyline has me a little confused . . ."
August 13, 2015 –
page 308
August 14, 2015 –
page 345
August 17, 2015 –
page 358
73.51% "Work keeps interfering with my lunch time so I am reading this much slower than expected! :("
August 18, 2015 –
page 382
78.44% "Key plot twists revealed!"
August 19, 2015 –
page 409
83.98% "So much twisted drama!"
August 20, 2015 –
page 440
90.35% "If they ever make a movie of this, M. Night Shyamalan will have to direct because of all the unexpected twists."
August 21, 2015 –
page 475
97.54% "I almost finished at lunch and didn't have any time to read tonight! :("
August 23, 2015 – Shelved as: historical-fiction
August 23, 2015 – Shelved as: favorites
August 23, 2015 – Shelved as: own
August 23, 2015 – Shelved as: revenge
August 23, 2015 – Shelved as: mystery
August 23, 2015 – Shelved as: coming-of-age
August 23, 2015 – Finished Reading
August 30, 2015 – Shelved as: tear-jerkers

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin Matthew I have had this book bought used for a few weeks now and can't get to it. Everyone keeps saying to hurry and read it. Reading your review makes me want to push it up on the list! :)

Matthew Melissa - this book was a very pleasant surprise. While I cannot promise everyone will agree with my view on it, so far overall the response I have seen from my Goodreads friends is very positive.

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin Well, that is enough for me. I have had several rave about the book. It will be in my upcoming reads for sure.

Aaron Nash Is the payoff worth it? Right now im around 200 pages in and the gorgeous writing is about the only thing keeping me entertained.

Matthew Aaron wrote: "Is the payoff worth it? Right now im around 200 pages in and the gorgeous writing is about the only thing keeping me entertained."

It has been a couple of years since I read it so it is not as sharp in my mind as when I first read it, but I do remember not being disappointed in any aspect of this book. But, getting there is definitely not quick!

Mike You just made me remind myself how much, and why, I loved this one, Matthew. Excellent summation!!

Matthew Mike wrote: "You just made me remind myself how much, and why, I loved this one, Matthew. Excellent summation!!"

Thanks, Mike!

Sarah I love love love getting lost in an amazing book....and that is just one reason why this is one of my most favorite books ever! THIS ONE is many times my best suggestion when someone asks what they should read. Maybe I just read it at exactly the right time for me, but the language was stunningly beautiful, it was exciting, it has everything!

Snooty1 Wonderful review!!! I loved this book so much, and only read it for the first time this year! Next trip BARCELONA!

message 10: by Mischenko (new) - added it

Mischenko Sounds good! Superb review. On my tbr...

Matthew Sarah wrote: "I love love love getting lost in an amazing book....and that is just one reason why this is one of my most favorite books ever! THIS ONE is many times my best suggestion when someone asks what they..."

I received this in a book exchange and had never heard of it. I was very pleasantly surprised!

Matthew Snooty1 wrote: "Wonderful review!!! I loved this book so much, and only read it for the first time this year! Next trip BARCELONA!"

Thanks! Yes, it definitely makes you want to go there!

Matthew Mischenko wrote: "Sounds good! Superb review. On my tbr..."

Aw, shucks - thanks! I hope you enjoy!

Lorna Matthew, a beautiful review of one of my favorite books - a true literary treasure. I'm looking forward to reading the next two books in the trilogy.

Matthew Lorna wrote: "Matthew, a beautiful review of one of my favorite books - a true literary treasure. I'm looking forward to reading the next two books in the trilogy."

Thank you - I don't think I realized this is a trilogy (and, if I did at some point, I have forgotten!) Definitely worth looking into.

Jacob Overmark Not mention a 4th part is on its way to the English speaking market, it was published in Spanish a while back and in German 3 months ago :-)

Matthew Jacob wrote: "Not mention a 4th part is on its way to the English speaking market, it was published in Spanish a while back and in German 3 months ago :-)"

Thanks for the info!

Warda One of my all time favourites! Glad you enjoyed it. :)

Matthew Warda wrote: "One of my all time favourites! Glad you enjoyed it. :)"

Yes - I need to read some more Zafon . . .

Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥ I love Zafon's books! They are always so poetic and deep! XD

Matthew Virginia wrote: "I love Zafon's books! They are always so poetic and deep! XD"

And, at least from this one, it was still engaging. Sometimes poetic and deep is a slog . . .

Charlotte Guzman You are making me want to pick this book up and read. It has been on my to read list for a while and I have the book. Might have to read soon.

Matthew Charlotte wrote: "You are making me want to pick this book up and read. It has been on my to read list for a while and I have the book. Might have to read soon."

I received it as a gift and jumped it to the front of my TBR. I did not regret the decision!

message 24: by Doreen (new) - added it

Doreen Petersen You write such wonderful review Matthew. Congrats.

Matthew Doreen wrote: "You write such wonderful review Matthew. Congrats."

Aw, shucks! Thanks! :)

message 26: by Megan (new)

Megan Terrific review Matthew !!!

Matthew Megan wrote: "Terrific review Matthew !!!"

Thank you! 😁

Angel Wonderful review! I am about 40% through this book and I don't ever want it to end. It is a beautiful story and I can't wait to see where it is heading.

Matthew Angel wrote: "Wonderful review! I am about 40% through this book and I don't ever want it to end. It is a beautiful story and I can't wait to see where it is heading."

Thanks! Glad to hear you are enjoying it, too!