Kellee's Reviews > Across the Universe

Across the Universe by Beth Revis

1919931

bookshelves: sci-fi, romance, mystery, dystopian-apocalyptic-or-post, my-favorite-reads-in-2011

The first chapter of this book was one of the most intense, descriptive and flat-out painful opening chapters that I've ever read! Well done Beth Revis! Way to make the reader feel the desperation and pain right from the start so we cannot put the book down!

This is one of those books that has it all, but it didn't feel over the top to me. The basis of the book (because of not being able to live on Earth any more, a ship is flying "across the universe" to a new habitable planet) shows that it is obviously sci-fi; however, it doesn't stop there. On the ship, they had frozen people from Earth who would be needed to start the new planet- someone starts unplugging people!! MYSTERY on our hands! And the first girl unplugged is beautiful and Elder loves her- ROMANCE! See it has it all. Now, the dystopian part.... you'll have to read for yourself!! Sorry- it comes out with the mystery and I'm NOT going to give that away.

Beth Revis gives us a world confined to a ship. At the beginning, I caught my self glancing at the maps over and over to see where the characters were, but eventually, the ship comes to life and the setting itself is no longer confusing. Just like with most science fiction books, you have to get used to a new civilization of sorts. The ship Godspeed is run with a hierarchy system where there is one leader who leads all the people (feeders and shippers). Elder is the future leader of the ship and he is the character who co-narrates the novel.

November 26, 2010 – Shelved