Debbie's Reviews > Shantaram Part Two

Shantaram Part Two by Gregory David Roberts

Jul 02, 2015

it was ok
bookshelves: couldn-t-finish, audio

I listened (part way) to the audio book. If this was a "normal" length audio book, I would have been able to state I finished it. I thought his story was quite interesting. Learning about the underground world of India, about the day to day life of the people. Knowing nothing of India, I do not know if the characterizations of the subjects were correct. I agree with a previous reviewer, Mayuri who looks to be of Indian descent that Prabaker seems to be a cartoon character, always happy go lucky and innocent in a childlike way. Prabaker seemed very stereotypical.
I actually was enjoying the quasi biography for a while. But after that long while, I wondered what the point of this book was. I wouldn't call it "drivel" as others have stated but it certainly goes on and on and on and on. Like reading from someone's diary. 17+ hours of listening through part II, I thought that was going to be the end, but knew it didn't sound like an ending. Ugh! There is a part III. I'm just not looking forward to listening to the same day to day goings on. Well, I'm this far, maybe I should finish, but let me make sure Part III is also the final part...NOPE! There are 5 PARTS. A total of 43 hours!!! I gave up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shantaram Part Two.

July 2, 2015 – Started Reading