Kathryn's Reviews > Mirage

Mirage by Monica Burns

F 50x66

I very much enjoyed this book and recommend it to anyone who wants a steamy, exciting historical. Unfortunately I could not read it in one sitting because life intervened, but I did not want to put the story down.

I actually picked this book up because I had met Monica Burns at a convention and I enjoyed the way she could turn a phrase. When I saw that Mirage was being released I bought it because the blurb interested me.

The heroine wants to succeed in a man's field and the hero is of mixed blood. I work in a man's field and issues of race have been much in the news lately, so I thought this book would be interesting.

The book was originally published in 2009 but her handling of these issues is not dated. The chemistry between the protagonists is off the chart as they struggle to resist the attraction between them and also solve the puzzle of who is trying to kill Alex. All this while searching for a lost palace of the Pharaoh Ramses.

There are false leads so just when you think it is safe to go back into the excavation there is another attempt on her life. The problems and solutions do not seem forced to advance the plot, but are plausible.

Of course they get their "happily ever after". Even knowing it wouldn't be much of a romance without the HEA, the plot pulled me through to the end.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mirage.

June 30, 2015 – Started Reading