Kim's Reviews > Half-Blood

Half-Blood by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Nov 25, 2010

bookshelves: young-adult, read-in-2012, ebook

I enjoyed this. I reread this review just now and it seems like I didn't, but it was good.

Everybody already pointed out it's a lot like the Vampire Academy series, and I agree, but I couldn't help looking forward to the next chance I had time to read a few chapters. And this book has a Seth! Yay! (for those who don't know me, I have a thing for Seths, blame Mortensen from the Georgina Kincaid books for turning my fondness into blind obsession for anybody who comes along and introduces himself as a Seth)

Although it's similar to VA, it didn't bother me most of the time. We all know Rose Hathaway has a short fuse, but Alex doesn't seem to have one, she just explodes whenever she feels like it. I did feel like clocking her every now and then. Unfortunately that wouldn't have gotten me far.

I've been out of the YA loop for a year or so now, but I really love how these books finally seem to kick the Twilight-standards in the face and actually acknowledge that teenagers think about sex and, even better, actually seem to be getting some as well. I was beginning to feel like a pervert when I became bothered by the lack of intimacy in most YA series I read. It seemed like holding hands was already something risqué, but they scoot right past that in some of the chapters in this book (yay).

I wasn't really satisfied with how the ending worked out. The entire book was building up to something that was obvious from the start, and then Alex just had to go and spoil it all by doing something stupid like I love youuuu... ahem, sorry the song popped into my head forget that she's pretty much still a novice when it comes to fighting, no matter what's in store for her.

Btw, random thought, but do any of you have color-changing eyes? I'm waiting for Aiden's eyes to turn purple or green or something, Alex mentions them every other sentence and just how many shades of silver are there anyway?

I'm in the middle of the second book right now, can't say I'm exactly thrilled by it yet, but it's too early for me to form an opinion already.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Half-Blood.

November 25, 2010 – Shelved
April 23, 2012 –
April 23, 2012 – Finished Reading

~Tina~ Hope you enjoy this!! Happy Reading:D

message 2: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim Thanks Tina! I really don't have time to read, but I see everybody going nuts about these books so I have to give in :)

~Tina~ I'm mighty curious about what you'll think of this one.
Armentrout has become one of my all time fav's these days.

Miss you!