Kamile's Reviews > A Game of Thrones

A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin

bookshelves: favorites, 2015, fantasy, wishlist, to-reread

Detailed Rating: 9/10
Recommended For: A mature, intelligent reader who values complex characters and plot twists.
Short Summary: This book simply cannot be summarized, but believe me - this book will, one way or another, change your outlook on reading and books. After reading the series, you will have a hard time finding something that can surpass it.

Plot: There's several plot lines throughout the series, each one of them telling the story from a different character's perspective. The plot itself is very complex and there are some things left unsaid, leaving you wanting more and more.
Characters: First of all, there's a lot of characters. I believe the whole series must have over a 1000 characters in total. But each of them is real. Unique. Each one of them has their backstory, their flaws, their own character traits and can make you relate to them in one way or another.
Writing: The writing is A+ and as a writer, I hope to reach that level one day. The whole plot flows seamlessly, it never feels like there's something missing out or that things are rushed. There's enough attention to detail without boring the reader with long and cliche descriptions.
Personal Notes: I will defend G.R.R. Martin's brilliance in both writing and creativity until my last day on Earth. Fight me! The TV series is a joke compared to the complexity of plots and the lore in the books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Game of Thrones.

Quotes Kamile Liked

George R.R. Martin
“... a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge.”

George R.R. Martin
“When you play a game of thrones you win or you die.”

George R.R. Martin
“When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives.”

George R.R. Martin
“Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.”

Started Reading