Lacey Louwagie's Reviews > Austenland

Austenland by Shannon Hale

Nov 24, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: romance

I picked this book up when pickings were VERY slim for audiobooks at the library. There are two reasons I gave it a chance even though I generally don't go for this Brigitte-Jones-diary-esque, chick lit (shudder) genre:
1) I felt that, as an English major who has read all but one of Jane Austen's work, it behooved me to listen to a modern "retelling" that referenced them heavily and;
2) Shannon Hale writes good YA books.

This book wasn't as annoying as I expected it to be, mainly because the protagonist wasn't quite as pathetic as I expected her to be. And it did dabble in what's generally my favorite theme--how and why we make the decision to live in "the real world" rather than one of our own imagining. There was a hint of feminist sensibility near the end, as the protagonist realized that fantasy is "the opiate of women," but the true ending of the novel was totally predictable. Still, I imagine that the intended audience for this work would not have been satisfied if it ended any other way. At least there were a few moments of laugh-out-loud humor to keep it from being too saccharine.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Austenland.

November 24, 2010 – Started Reading
November 24, 2010 – Shelved
November 24, 2010 –
20.0% "Don't have a whole lot of patience for women who moon over the regency era and dream of unattainable Jane Austen romance stories (heck, Jane Austen herself never had that kind of story!)"
December 1, 2010 –