Matt's Reviews > Never Have Your Dog Stuffed: And Other Things I've Learned

Never Have Your Dog Stuffed by Alan Alda

Nov 24, 2010

bookshelves: biography-memoirs

I've always liked the Alan Alda I see on TV, especially in M*A*S*H, of which I have seen every episode multiple times. The Alan Alda in his first book, "Never Have Your Dog Stuffed" is much like he has always been in interviews, but with the subject matter being as sometimes sad as it is, the tone feels a lot heavier.

If you are looking for a lot of fun stories about M*A*S*H, you should look elsewhere. Obviously there are mentions because it was such a huge part of Alda's life and career, but this book is about much more than that. It is about growing up as the son of a great actor, about the quest to become a great actor himself, and most poignantly, growing up as the son of a mentally ill mother.The stories about his mother are the most interesting, and also quite sad. The instances of his mother's affect on him pop throughout and his relationship with her is the most memorable part of the book.

The book does have some laughs, though, and Alda is charming throughout. I would highly recommend this book, as it will make you laugh and might even make you cry.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Never Have Your Dog Stuffed.

November 24, 2010 – Started Reading
November 24, 2010 – Shelved
November 24, 2010 – Shelved as: biography-memoirs
November 24, 2010 –
page 55
22.92% "So far, so good. I really love the way Alda's personality goes into the way he writes. He has a very strong narrative voice."
November 26, 2010 – Finished Reading