Camila Vilela De Holanda's Reviews > The Catcher in the Rye

The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger

Holden Caulfield thinks you are a phony! You and me both, to be honest.

I grabbed this book not even knowing what it was about, just acknowledging it was a classic being sold very cheap at the bookstore. Then I decided to read just because I needed something short between 'The Vampire Lestat' and 'To Kill A Mocking Bird'. I Invited some friends to read along and they were all in, but also thinking of it as a mushy romance 'I-love-you-forever-doesn't-matter-how-long-we'd-be-apart' kind of book.

What a surprise! Salinger's style reminded me SO MUCH about the Beat Generation (which I love!) even though he wasn't one of them. I absolutely adored the intonation patterns now and then presented on the stressed syllables. And don't even get me started on how much I laughed hard while reading it, sometimes even in public places, where people would just stared at me thinking I was some sort of a weirdo. ;) But be ready to feel heartbroken sometimes, it will happen in such a melancholic way you wouldn't've even know what hit you and how much in perspective you shall put some conceptions you have regarding your own life and and your very own choices. Damn, you're definitely going to question yourself, if you want to know the truth. And then you can talk endlessly to your fellas about it and each of you will have a different opinion, which is gonna be grand.

It's totally worth the hype and the attention it has been getting throughout the years, even though we are corny and phony and probably would bore the hellaout Holden, the most amazing 16-year-old I've ever met. I love how human he is and can be at the same time incredibly careless (and selfish and arrogant and yadda yadda just like any other teenager) and still be able to feel and to be moved by the simplest things in life that wouldn't've touched anyone else but him. And he'll let you know that, he will. Gotta luv this goddam old kid, though. I truly love his perceptions, I really do.

Be prepared to feel both breathless and speechless sometimes. This book won't let you stand idly by or would let you go incognito. You just take sides, you do. And you're going to love, to hate, to live, to laugh, to cry and will desperately try to end up this insane cycle of cynicism we've been living in for a while now: There's so much more in us than the little amount we're willing to let people see.

P.S.: Whatever happened to the ducks?!

'...Nobody'd be different. The only thing that would be different would be you. Not that you'd be so much older or anything. It wouldn't be that exactly. You'd just be different, that's all. You'd have an overcoat on this time. Or that kid that was your partner in line last time had got scarlet fever and you'd have a new partner. Or you'd have a substitute taking the class, instead of Miss Aigletinger. Or you'd heard your mother and father having a terrific fight in the bathroom. Or you'd just passed by one of those puddles in the street with gasoline rainbows in them. I mean you'd be different in some way – I can't explain what I mean. And even if I could, I'm not sure I'd feel like it. (...) Certain things they should stay the way they are. You ought to be able to stick them in one of those big glass cases and just leave them alone. I know that's impossible, but it's too bad anyway. Anyway, I kept thinking about all that while I walked.'

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Catcher in the Rye.

July 1, 2015 – Started Reading