Amanda's Reviews > All the President's Men

All the President's Men by Carl Bernstein

bookshelves: five-star

Everyone has a book that means something to them far beyond the words printed on pages. The book obviously must have extraordinary content to keep you so engaged, and because of that, it will probably also be intelligent, well-written, and any other quality you'd attribute to great reading. But when you finish the book, you don't really love it because of what you read; you love it because of how what you read made you feel.

All the President's Men is that book for me. It is, undoubtedly, my favorite book – not because a hastily published review of investigative journalism procedure is necessarily relevant to my life, but because of what this powerful little book represents to me. I was always weirdly obsessed with politics: one of my earliest memories is aggressively campaigning for Bob Dole in my first grade classroom's mock presidential election (your guess is as good as mine on that choice); I was more obsessed with Clinton scandal than any kid should ever be; I made a "book" about the Florida recount out of cut-out newspaper articles. In summary, I was a hardcore, unabashed, child wonk.

All the President's Men was probably the first (adult) political book I ever read, and even though I was way too young to understand or appreciate it, it just made me feel… cool; like, it was okay to obsess over all this, because doing so could actually be of consequence. Also, you don't have to be a nerd to enjoy the intrigue, mystery, and danger within the context of the White House.

I can't credit this book with my lifelong passion for politics, but it was probably the book that made me realize that reality is infinitely more fascinating and incredible than any work of fiction could ever be. I can, however, credit this book with making me the only person whose predominant feeling, when alone in a parking garage at night wearing an amazing peacoat, is a sense of sadness that I'm not meeting a secret informant.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All the President's Men.

Finished Reading