Robin's Reviews > The Sound of Gravel: A Memoir

The Sound of Gravel by Ruth Wariner

bookshelves: oregon-author, best-of-2015

I finished this last night and am a little stunned. Truly a phenomenal and believable story of a young girl's commitment to her family--well, except for Lane, he was the devil incarnate! The writing was great and the pace was breakneck; it was a combo of GLASS CASTLE, LIAR'S CLUB, and (near the end) Betty Mahmoody's NOT WITHOUT MY DAUGHTER.

Put this on your TBR list for January and also remember this for book group recommendations. Older teens will also like this, especially fans of A CHILD CALLED IT.

Thanks to Macmillan's Flatiron Books for providing the advance reading copy.

Update 5/11/18: Recommend this for those who liked Tara Westover's EDUCATED and Cea Person's NORTH OF NORMAL.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sound of Gravel.

June 30, 2015 – Shelved
June 30, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
July 1, 2015 – Shelved as: oregon-author
August 20, 2015 – Started Reading
August 31, 2015 – Shelved as: best-of-2015
August 31, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

Ingrid Lola I loved this book too. I read every polygamy memoir I can find and this was by far the best I've come across so far.

Kalen Glass Castle is a great comparison.

Maureen Cole Agreed, Glass Castle is an excellent comparison. Ugh Lane-so bad. Robin, have you heard this author speak anywhere?

message 4: by Robin (last edited Feb 02, 2016 06:28AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Robin Maureen wrote: "Agreed, Glass Castle is an excellent comparison. Ugh Lane-so bad. Robin, have you heard this author speak anywhere?"

Yes! I had arranged with the publisher to provide ARCs to the library book group then come to the December discussion. She was great and mpressed everyone with her grace and honesty. She was also happy to hear a "test" appearance as she hadn't really spoken in front of an audience about the book. I encourage you to get her if you can and I'd be glad to help, although you probably wouldn't need it.

Judy Robin, it kills me to be in such disagreement with your review. I thought this was a terrible book, although I did read it to the end. I just can't forgive the ridiculous position she claimed to understand as a very young child and preteen.. Not buyin' it. Think a better editor would have made this a better book.

Robin Judy wrote: "Robin, it kills me to be in such disagreement with your review. I thought this was a terrible book, although I did read it to the end. I just can't forgive the ridiculous position she claimed to un..."

Well, as I've said for years, different books for different folks. :-) I'll also add that you are in minority as most GR ratings are pretty high. Also, in December the library book group read advance copies and there were a few who had similar reactions as you did, but after meeting her and hearing her speak (we were her first public appearance for the book) were very impressed with her demeanor and the way she answered questions.

It is good that we agree on *some* books, right? ;-)