711Isabel B's Reviews > Never Cry Wolf

Never Cry Wolf by Farley Mowat

U 50x66
Nov 24, 2010

bookshelves: 7th-grade

NEVER CRY WOLF, by Farley Mowat, was an amazing book. I loved every page of it.
Usually, non-fiction isn't something that interests me, or interests me for very long. But NEVER CRY WOLF kept me captive for the entire book.
I think that Farley Mowat did a really good job with the humor - it was really funny, but in an everyday kind of humor, almost.
But while he had the humor, he also had his discoveries and facts woven in, which made the book even more interesting. I learned a lot about wolves in NEVER CRY WOLF.

But while I think that wolves were a big part of the book, I also feel like people are another big idea. When I say "people," I mean more "human nature". I found it really interesting that the people (including government funded researchers), believed wolves to be dangerous and blood thirsty. They killed thousands of caribou every year, while the meek, humble trappers killed only about 100 every year, to keep their trade coming. The wolves killed without thinking, and would waste carcasses. They were causing the caribou population to decrease very fast.
But the truth of the matter is that those ideas should be reversed. The humans would kill about 400 caribou a year, while the wolves would only kill what they needed and only when they needed it. They weren't bloodthirsty (the humans were, though!) and they didn't kill unless they had to.
St one point in the book, there was a scene, in which Mowat was brought to a scene of proof that humans were not to blame. A whole herd had been taken down, there was blood everywhere, and only a tiny amount of meat was taken from the slaughter.
As Mowat was examining the carcasses, he realized that it had been humans that had killed the caribou and for no reason. The wolves hadn't, and yet, they were still to blame.

All of that above makes me think about human nature. Why do we frame the decreasing caribou population on the wolves, when it was clearly us? Why do we as humans, try to put the blame of our work on someone else's shoulders? Why do we go to lengths to try to decrease our guiltiness (by trying to find proof that it was the wolves fault)?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Never Cry Wolf.