Maite's Reviews > Tug of War

Tug of War by K. Larsen

5920863

liked it
bookshelves: fiction-narrative, 2015-reading-challenge, novels

This is the first time that a living author follows publicly my reading progress. There has been a couple of dead ones but it’s not the same feeling. Anyway, I thought it’d be nice to let K. Larsen know what’s my take on her novel.

Tug of War is the typical romance with a classic love triangle with a twist: they’re really lousy people. It’s well written although I did find a couple of typos. My main complaint may not be Larsen’s fault: the ebook was difficult to navigate. An index would’ve made easier the reading experience.

The story itself, as stated above, is nothing out of the ordinary. I was able to predict Clara’s choice from the start. There’s a couple of plot twists to shake things up a little bit, but it’s clear nothing will change the established outcome. This is one of the weakest aspect of the novel. The other is the title. It’s spoken by Clara while thinking about her feelings for these two guys, Sawyer and Dom, but she’s also a compulsive liar, so we know she’s not torn, she’s just lying to herself. Unless the actual tug of war is between what Clara pretends to be and what she really is. But that is material for academic analysis.

The strongest aspect is the characters’ development. Each member of the triangle has some good qualities and some really bad ones. I couldn’t decide which one of the male characters was worse, Sawyer, the martyr, or Dominique, the rich boy. On the other hand, Clara is Scarlett O’Hara’s favorite child. Her name is ironic since transparency isn’t her thing. She uses people, she lies, she’s egocentric, she’s untrustworthy, and she thinks with her cunt. I love her. She’s a great character. When I finished reading I thought that she choose the guy she was meant to be since they both are awful and deserve each other. Besides, once you know her past her choice comes as no surprise.

Why three stars you ask… -1 for the predictability, and -1 for everything else: the typos, the title, the non-indexed ebook, and the no mention of condoms. Characters can do whatever they want with their fictitious bodies but, please, use a condom.

I enjoyed reading Tug of War. The multiple layers of the three main characters alone made it worth it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tug of War.

June 30, 2015 – Shelved