Gemma's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling

Nov 23, 2010

bookshelves: favorites
Read in February, 2013

(Note: I don't have an actual review for this book beyond 'it was awesome' but I wanted to get this in here somewhere. It covers the series as a whole)

Reasons why Harry Potter is better than Lord of the Rings

1. a. The plot (especially in the first four) moves quickly, and there's not a lot of time taken away from the plot spent developing thematic issues.
b. JK Rowling's writing is more engaging than Tolkien's, IMO.

2. a. The characters are well mapped out, side characters included.
b. The characters seem young because they are young, but grow up as the series progresses.
c. (view spoiler)

3. The Harry Potter books are usually funny.
b. But not just because the drama is poorly done.

4. The Ron/Harry friendship has no romantic undertones, accidental or otherwise.

5. Even though you need to have read the previous books to understand one, each book (with the possible exception of five) has its own well developed storyline.

6. a. Plot twists. Ever heard of 'em, Tolkien? Of course not.
b. The good guys are not necessarily the pretty ones ((view spoiler)), nor are the villains always ugly (Example: Tom Felton/Draco Malfoy). Things aren't a matter of appearance.

7. The creation of Hogwarts, the wizarding world and everything required more than just a couple name changes. I mean, Middle Earth is essentially Europe, but Hogwarts... there's really no where quite like that. And even if Middle Earth was an original, Hogwarts would still be better.

I realize that this is all totally open to interpretation, but this is mine, and I'm sticking to it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.

Beatriz  Lins I don't agree with you (I do think The Lord of the Rings if 100% better than Harry Potter, even though I love both series) but I definitely see your point!
I think Lord of the Rings is better because Tolkien created a world a lot more complex than Hogwarts. He created more than two languages by himself, and that's pretty impressive. He spent his whole life dedicating himself to this world, so I respect him a lot ;)I also love the black-and-white fight against evil, and the fact the one single ring is able to cause so much destruction.
That being said, I agree with you: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets is AWESOME! *----------------*

message 2: by Gemma (last edited Feb 18, 2013 06:24PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gemma I'm not a big Lord of the Rings person and I don't know a ton about Middle Earth and the Tolkien universe, but I just feel that Hogwarts and the Wizarding World have potential to hold a lot more; there's more mystery in Hogwarts than Middle Earth, IMO, so there's a lot more possibilities. But I do appreciate how much Tolkien loved the world he created and the elaborate care he put into setting up that world, even though I could never really get into it; I could never connect with his writing or his characters, but I know a lot of people absolutely loved them. The black-and-white evil thing really bugged me, because it's too symbolic and far-fetched; I feel like in real life, the lines between good and evil are so easily blurred, but Tolkien could have made them so stark for thematic reasons. It just wasn't something that worked for me. But I can see all of your points, too.