Seth Mcarron's Reviews > The Sound and the Fury

Nov 23, 2010

bookshelves: favorites
Recommended to Seth by: The world of literature
Recommended for: 33 year old retards

It works itself out like an intricately woven puzzle. Sentences flow in and out of one another, memories or moments interchanging tumultuously, stagnating together. It's a very (at times) nauseatingly confusing read, however the more you frequent it, the less vague everything becomes- Your mind is the candle in the dark. I must have read that damn opening five times just to figure out what the hell 'hitting' was supposed to be. Until I reached the end of the novel, turned back to the first page and unlocked my frustrating mystery, but that's just how Faulkner rolls. He always encouraged folks to read and re-read and thus he wrote novels which made it necessary to do so. However there is always that gorgeous and poetic Faulknerian prose to keep you interested in times of distress. Every word the dude breathes just oozes with passion, as if every grandiose sentence were to be his last, and while some might find it too be a little too stylistic or indulgent, it's A-okay with me.
I decided to head into this book with little to no narrative or plot information other than the fact that it has multiple narrators, one of which is mentally incapable, and maybe even that was a bit too much information and took away from it's puzzling nature, but you can only filter so much. I don't even know if this was the best way to go about reading the novel, maybe a reading guide would benefit others a little more, but it certainly didn't dissuade my fascination with it. Every time I picked up the thing I was perplexed, even if I didn't know what the H-E-double-hockey-sticks was actually happening, I always got the sense that something was happening. That some great heartbreaking tragedy was unfolding before me in the tiniest flares, and it was.
Seeing each character from multiple perspectives really was enlightening, the story's non-linearity also added to this. Everything is constantly moving, and never in one particular direction, harrowing in it's account of downfall and behemoth in spectrum of character, emotion, event and style. And no matter how frustrating their accounts are to read, you end up feeling sentimental toward these sad people, and tend to miss them when they're gone, only to be reminded of them when they are brought up in a different account - this has the melancholic effect of seeing your best friend five years after your relationship has dwindled in a coffee house with someone you've never seen or heard before, and they don't even realize your presence.
So yeah, I s'pose I will miss Caddy and Benjy and Quentin, but I can always pick the novel up again, and let something else entirely new unfold before me. Yeah, I think I like this Faulkner dude.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sound and the Fury.

Quotes Seth Liked

William Faulkner
“...I give you the mausoleum of all hope and desire...I give it to you not that you may remember time, but that you might forget it now and then for a moment and not spend all of your breath trying to conquer it. Because no battle is ever won he said. They are not even fought. The field only reveals to man his own folly and despair, and victory is an illusion of philosophers and fools.”
William Faulkner, The Sound and the Fury