Jess's Reviews > Matched

Matched by Ally Condie

Nov 23, 2010

bookshelves: borrowed-from-library, dystopia, series, ya-lit, paper-book

If nothing else, the story is compelling. You have to get as far as possible as soon as you can. Waiting for the next one from the library. Enjoyed it a lot and hopeful that the "Second Book Syndrome" some people have mentioned in regards to Crossed is only a matter of limited opinion.

ETA: Now that I've finished it I've read a few of the reviews. Yes, I did spend half of my time thinking of The Giver while reading this book. I don't think of that as depreciating the text. That means it was just as effective at depicting a closely controlled society in which all choices are made for you. What dystopian writer for that age group doesn't throw a bit of Lowry into their society? (Yes, I know, Suzanne Collins is all that is holy in creating a completely different kind of world where you're allowed to have feelings as long as you use them to kill people...) In this case, she just made it a little differently controlled. Now, if everyone went into job training at 12 and we realized 3/4 of the way through the book that color wasn't even an option for most people, that might be a little different.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Matched.