James's Reviews > Pale Kings And Princes

Nov 23, 2010

liked it
Recommended for: Fans of Spenser for Hire
read count: 1

Spenser investigates the murder of a reporter and uncovers a tangled web of secrets and a solid wall of resistance. As usual, he quickly charms the ladies and blusters his way through confrontations with everyone from the local drug lord to the local Sheriff. When things get really tough, he calls in both Hawk and Susan for assistance.

Although I enjoyed the story at a basic level, I found a few things about it disappointing. One is that Spenser calls Susan into a volatile situation that could easily get her killed. I haven't read enough Spenser stories to know if that's normal for him, but he loses some points for it. Also, this story doesn't have a satisfying conclusion by my estimation. It has that "everybody dies" feel about it, and although the crime is solved and the chaos sorted, you are left wondering what happens next that might make things better.

I don't think I'm saying anything here that qualifies as a "spoiler," but if you disagree, let me know and I'll mark it as such.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pale Kings And Princes.